Johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Is there anything I can spot spray fence lines, patches in hay fields and etc that won't kill the other grasses ?

It's mostly in the hay fields and I don't want it seeding out and spreading or in my hay.
If there is any in the pasture the cows keep grazed out

Cross-7":2c03ldbx said:
It's mostly in the hay fields and I don't want it seeding out and spreading or in my hay.
We had the brome sprayed again this week. Ended up with a lot of wasted, stemmy bales last year. They love to graze it, hate it in bales.

I personally like the Johnson grass. When our fescue peters out in July and august I still get a good volume of hay because of the Johnson grass.

Plus when put up good our cows love it.

Cross-7":2tzbjglf said:

Boom spray the whole field with the Pastora like Fence suggested. It is good stuff. Yes it is pricey. It kills stickers and all kinds of other stuff you don't want in your hay patch. When you see those clean, beautiful, hay patches... it's Pastora.

Just don't spray it in July or August when you don't have much moisture. It will burn the grass pretty good.

The hay ground is planted in hay grazer
It's mostly around the edges and around the fence, especially in places next to ditches next to the road.
I wanted to spot spray it to keep it from spreading.

Cross-7":rdj7dkg4 said:
It's mostly around the edges and around the fence, especially in places next to ditches next to the road.

Why would Johnson grass be a problem in haygrazer?

callmefence":36v6ie8e said:
Cross-7":36v6ie8e said:

Prussic acid worries me with Johnsongrass
I don't want it to spread and become a problem.
I don't want the seed in the hay and get it started in other places.

Cross-7":3v225e34 said:
callmefence":3v225e34 said:
Cross-7":3v225e34 said:

Prussic acid worries me with Johnsongrass
I don't want it to spread and become a problem.
I don't want the seed in the hay and get it started in other places.

Gotcha.
Johnson grass and haygrazer are both sorghum. Johnson grass gets hot haygraxer will most likely be the same. Prussic acid dissipates shortly after cutting and is zero concern in hay. Nitrates can be a concern in both.

Spreading Johnson grass seed through the hay is a very good reason. :nod:

This is what I'm dealing with
I have another that borders the road too.
I also have some around the edges of the pasture on the inside of the hay ground that's in native type grass.

Edit
This is one of the patches on the inside

Cross-7":1czn5c68 said:

Interesting. My hay patch essentially started with none several years ago and today is getting to be significant. I plant sorghum sudan cross but welcome JG. If it keeps spreading, which it seems to be doing, I'll make a crop out of it rather than the SS.

For what it's worth, the JG you see growing wild is no where near what you get under fertilization. I did Austrian Winter Peas in my hay patch this past winter and incorporated them into the soil. The JG growing alongside my SS is outproducing it and has already headed out. If I had a full field of it my baler would be out rolling and I'd be waiting for the second cutting.

Prussic acid is a (plant) stress produced nuisance which dissipates in baled hay. Problems with it occur when grazing stressed plants which are actively growing. TAMU ag. extension has papers defining the problem, and all the hows and whys. Check them on the www. I have been farming this place for about 40 years, JG and SS always part of the program, lots of hay, have yet to kill one of my cows, or even have one down with it.

Texasmark":2lnvxbrj said:
Cross-7":2lnvxbrj said:

Interesting. My hay patch essentially started with none several years ago and today is getting to be significant. I plant sorghum sudan cross but welcome JG. If it keeps spreading, which it seems to be doing, I'll make a crop out of it rather than the SS.

For what it's worth, the JG you see growing wild is no where near what you get under fertilization. I did Austrian Winter Peas in my hay patch this past winter and incorporated them into the soil. The JG growing alongside my SS is outproducing it and has already headed out. If I had a full field of it my baler would be out rolling and I'd be waiting for the second cutting.

Prussic acid is a (plant) stress produced nuisance which dissipates in baled hay. Problems with it occur when grazing stressed plants which are actively growing. TAMU ag. extension has papers defining the problem, and all the hows and whys. Check them on the www. I have been farming this place for about 40 years, JG and SS always part of the program, lots of hay, have yet to kill one of my cows, or even have one down with it.

I 've tried crabgrass for a volunteer summer crop on my oat pasture. It was a total failure it just doesn't like my rocky clay. I 've been considering buying Johnson grass seed and planting the fields. I think the Johnson grass would come in on its own right behind the oats every year without ever starting a tractor.
As long as you let it make seed before frost.
I agree anyone scared of prusic acid needs to do the research. It's really a common sense deal and when conditions are perfect it can occur in any grass.

http://www.brownwoodnews.com/tifton-85- ... to-cattle/

callmefence":mywbm9nz said:
I 've tried crabgrass for a volunteer summer crop on my oat pasture. It was a total failure it just doesn't like my rocky clay. I 've been considering buying Johnson grass seed and planting the fields. I think the Johnson grass would come in on its own right behind the oats every year without ever starting a tractor.
I agree anyone scared of prusic acid needs to do the research. It's really a common sense deal and when conditions are perfect it can occur in any grass.

I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.

1982vett":21j4af2d said:
callmefence":21j4af2d said:

I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.

The same way we do with haygrazer. Cut or graze and disc it in. Field is worked in the fall and spring. The idea is to make the warm weather crop volunteered. Often done with crabgrass

Please continue. your opinion is valued.

callmefence":abrgez1y said:
1982vett":abrgez1y said:
callmefence":abrgez1y said:

The same way we do with haygrazer. Cut or graze and disc it in. Field is worked in the fall and spring. The idea is to make the warm weather crop volunteered. Often done with crabgrass

Please continue. your opinion is valued.

Yup, cut it for hay and you can no-till oats in right on top of it. With some moisture and a good drill you could probably drill it in, or maybe even some jumbo rye.

I deer hunt a Johnson grass hay field. When I want oats I just no-till it in. I've disked it a few times but it wasn't worth the work.

Brute 23":6d0uc13q said:
callmefence":6d0uc13q said:
1982vett":6d0uc13q said:

............ or maybe even some jumbo rye.

I have 10 bags of Jumbo Rye that I was going to plant this year but things didn't work out that way. I planted it last year and it really made a nice crop. They'll keep. If the Sugar Cane Aphids move back up here this year and threaten my sorghum sudan, I'll do winter peas again and then come back with Jumbo next year.