Johnson Grass Hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Have a small hayfield that a neighbor has offered for me to cut for some hay. (He cut it early, and in spite of the lack of rain, there is a fair amount of grass there.) There are several bunches of johnson grass that have grown up recently. Will these be an issue with the hay for cattle?

rgv,
You may wish to do a search...back awhile there was an extensive thread on JG. It had a lot of information. If you can't find it let us know and I will try to locate it for you.

Most of the time when we get around to our second cutting the johnson grass is very abundant in the fields. We haven't had any problems with it. I think you'll be okay with it, think the most danger from it would be trying to graze it. If it's grazed at the wrong time the cattle will get poisoned from the prussic acid it forms but this usually disappates after it's cut and baled and sits for a little while.

You have to worry about it when it gets drought stressed, then rain, then graze soon after for reasons aready mentioned.
A friend on mine is actually baling johnson grass which he planted. He says people that show cattle are starting to perfer johnson grass hay. He says it makes a sweet tasting hay the cows like.

Alot of people in our area cut and bale johnson grass, just as we do. Ours got a little bigger this year than we normally like, because of rain and not bein able to get in the field to cut it. But here's what ours looks like. 4 1/2 acre hay field mixed about half and half johnson grass/ coastal bermuda we baled 24 5x6 round bales off this last cuttin'
2005-08-25-cuttin-hay.jpg

2005-08-25-Layin-it-down.jpg

I have fed johnson grass hay all my life. It is great hay and high in protein and the cows love to eat it. I have never had a problem with it hurting cows in hay form. It is best to cut it as it is getting into boot stage. At this time, there are not big stalks and it is all foliage and you dont have to worry about seed scattering to a place that you dont want it. The field in the pic has lots of great feed, just too mature to be prime. They will eat it great, but there will be some stalks left and there will be lots of seed scattered. Johnsongrass is great hay

I have alot in my coastal. I am trying to get rid of it so I can grow better coastal but have had no ill effects. I think if it is cut right it will be OK. Likes others say some cut it intentionally. I don't think it grows as big or tall when in a big group as apposed to the single plant. Cut it and feed it.

Scotty

Yeap I know it's not prime...but when ya can't get to it....ya take what ya can get. bout the time it needed cut it started rainin every day...afternoon showers. course we needed them too.....lol it's a toss up, take the rain..or make hay...

I dont ever complain about the hay getting wet or too much rain to cut it. That rain will make more hay---good luck

Scotty":3r9tx96o said:
I have alot in my coastal. I am trying to get rid of it so I can grow better coastal but have had no ill effects. I think if it is cut right it will be OK. Likes others say some cut it intentionally. I don't think it grows as big or tall when in a big group as apposed to the single plant. Cut it and feed it.

Scotty

To get rid of the Johnson grass in your coastal buy a Spiedel Weed Wiper. You fill it up with roundup/water mixture and wipe it on the johnson grass. It will take you several years but you can eliminate it.

As far as johnson grass being good hay, I have checked the protien content of both johnson grass and coastal. At about 5.5 weeks, I can get 13-14% from either one. The cows actually prefer the Johnson grass. I prefer coastal because I don't have or want to buy a crimper

I have seen a cow eat single bite of johnsongrass still growing and fall over dead within 5 minutes. I have pastured Johnsongrass all my life and there are times you simply dont turn the cattle in on it. Once they start eating it, they are fine for the summer. It is that first few bites of the year that they get. On the otherhand, I have never had a problem with johnsongrass hay. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the hay

Never had a problem feedin it to our cattle. they dont have access to it while its standing. Been feedin it for 15 years or better and haven't had any come up in the pasture.

Never have had a problem with it either. When I'm feeling unloved I can go out to the right of way by my place and snap off a few armfuls of nice green Johnsongrass and take it to my cows. The way they crowd around me and go crazy for it, well it makes me feel like a movie star surrounded by adoring fans. :) My "gals" prefer Johnsongrass to any other grass. But I've always been mindful of nitrate & prussic acid poison, drought stress, etc. Cut at the right time, I think it makes very good hay and it can be used to good effect in a strictly managed grazing system. But it sure can't survive continuous grazing the way bermuda and bahia can.

One more thing not mentioned is grazing right after a killing frost the prussic acid can be toxic. Thats in young tender JG. Prussic acid deteriorates quickly. When your hay is dry enuf to bale it wont contain toxic levels.