Johnson Grass and Nitrogen poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

JG that has dried enough to be baled (18-20% moisture)will not contain toxic levels of prussic acid. Young tender fast growing plants that have been drought stressed are more likely to be toxic than older more mature plants, herbicides may temporarily increase acid levels. Levels are most likely to build up after a killing frost, but if for hay I wouldn't worry about it.

Nitrate poisoning can be in hay. During periods of low moisture or low humidity, nitrates can accumulate in plants heavily fertilized with N. Hay cut during or just after a drought period is what you need to worry about especially if you just fertilized before the drought. We read alot and this came from Sourthern Forages, it is a good book to have on hand. Usually with JG prussic acid is more of a problem.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3c1omwjl said:
Why not take a few samples of the stalks down to your local county agents office and have them run a test on the nitrogen levels? I did that for my sudex that I planted before I turned the cattle out on it. He didnt charge me anything. Took 5 minutes.

This is a good idea to do, especially in cases where there has not been much rain. I did the same thing with some stalks of my JG, and it turned out negative. The county agent told me that if the stalks are getting dry at the top, and stressed, is when the levels get poisoness. Not all do, but it CAN get that way. Its a simple test, and fast. They can even test AFTER it has been baled, weeks after.

Latest posts