johns disease

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need some information on Johns Disease or any similar or related illnesses. Thanks, Sandy
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

(User Above)":3rv2ws1e said:
: I need some information on Johns Disease or any similar or related illnesses. Thanks, Sandy<br>Could you mean Johnes? It is a disease caused by a bacteria which causes thickening of the gut wall, stopping nutrient absorption, weight loss and finally diarrhea then emaciation and death. E-mail me if you need further information.<br>V<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":v15ej11v said:
: : I need some information on Johns Disease or any similar or related illnesses. Thanks, Sandy<br>: Could you mean Johnes? It is a disease caused by a bacteria which causes thickening of the gut wall, stopping nutrient absorption, weight loss and finally diarrhea then emaciation and death. E-mail me if you need further information.<br>: V<br>Forgive incorrect spelling. <br>Don't really know much about it. My husband thinks one of his cows has Johnes disease. The cow doesn't eat much and she won't put on weight. We would like more information on the cause, treatment, if any, and the prognosis. Thanks, Sandy<br>
<br>

My husband thinks one of his cows has Johnes disease. The cow doesn't eat much and she won't put on weight. We would like more information on the cause, treatment, if any, and the prognosis. Thanks, Sandy<p>Treatment is slaughter...sorry to be blunt, but that's the best tx. If she's not eating well, Johnes would not be the first thing I think of--twisted stomach, hardware, liver abscess, heck there's sooo much that could do it. Try this website and see if it helps. <br>http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/johnes<br>Any other questions, ask via my e-mail....I don't always check the boards!<br>V
<br>

<p>Texas A & M has an excellent site on Johnes...as some of the vets there are doing substantial research on the disease. As Vicki stated...there is no cure, and slaughter is really the only answer. Additionally, if it is Johnes, you'll need to watch the rest of the herd for others that may have it as well.
<br>