Johnes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have two santa gertrudis cattle that my husband and I purchased with out seeing first.Well unfortunately,our vet has diagnosed them with having Johnes.I would like to know if there is anyone with any information on any treatment,and what precautions we should take for the rest of our herd? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

> I have two santa gertrudis cattle
> that my husband and I purchased
> with out seeing first.Well
> unfortunately,our vet has
> diagnosed them with having
> Johnes.I would like to know if
> there is anyone with any
> information on any treatment,and
> what precautions we should take
> for the rest of our herd? Any
> information would be greatly
> appreciated.

Johnes is not treatable. If you bought two at the same time, I suspect the seller knew they were positive for johnes. Look into legal action. Get them away from rest of your cattle.

[email protected]

> what is johnes ?

Johnes will cause your cattle to wast away slowly over several years. It is very contagous to other cattle. It can be spread by the manure and other body fluids.

[email protected]

I have had some cattle with Johne's as well. Some have come from a single breeder. Did you buy these private treaty or at a sale? I have been told that if it was at a sale, then not a whole lot can be done because Johne's is not a thing that is tested for at sales...Maybe it should be. If you want some info. on it, email me at [email protected]
I hope it gets taken care of, because this can be a SERIOUS problem if not handled properly.

I don't know that I could have recognized that they were diseased, but I do know that I could never afford to buy cattle without seeing them first!

Now that you know Johnes is out there, you can be an informed buyer, what you should also know is that it is a disease that resides in the intestines and prevents nutrient absorbtion, you will see the cattle eat and eat but vertualy starve to death, there are some who believe you can keep positive animals separated and continue to raise them confinded away from the healthy herd, but they will still waist away and die.

Better to submit blood for an ELISA test and fecal culture on suspect animals, and remove any positives, this is not a controlled DZ, such as Bangs or TB, but it is very costly to the beef industry, many herds that are PB herds using Holstien females for recipients for their ET programs have Johnes, as well as Bovine leucosis, another waisting DZ that is quite nasty.

I personnaly would avoid purchases from that herd in the future, and try to buy cattle that are health tested clean befor purchase, it is very easy to have the Johnes test done at the same time as the Bangs and TB test, they use serum from the same blood sample for both Johnes and Bangs, and the TB test is just the 72 hour test in the caudal fold of the tail, which is a pain but if it is a TB free herd, then there is no time lag, or need to pull cattle up for a second reading

Could anyone get me info on this. We have been trying to find literature on it, but can never find it.

I actually need some info. on Bovine Leukosis. That is what we cannot find much information on, and we have been culling positive animals with both, but it just seems as if neither one can be stopped. We have basically cleared Johnes out of the herd, but the Bovine Leukosis just seems to not go away at all.
Many of these cows were actually bought at consignment sales, and if enough breeders get together, hopefully, this can be something mandatory to test for before the animal is sold to the public. (We always do as just a standard procedure because we do not want anybody to go through the crap that we have had to over the last 6 years).

Johnes is a disease I'm afraid we'll be seeing a lot of in the near future in the beef industry.. especially if it's confirmed that there is a link between that and the "human form", which is Crone's disease.

Dairy herds have been plagued by this disease for years, primarily because most dairy cattle are kept in close confines, which makes it much easier to spread. It's spread via manure, so cattle that are in a lot or calving in a small area are very suseptable.

The best thing, in my opinion, that you can do in a beef herd is cull deeply. I wouldn't keep any progeny out of a Johne's cow.. and it may take a few years to get it all out of the herd. Generally stress will bring on symptoms, ie: weaning or calving. Cows are generally 4+ years of age before you'll see symptoms, but by then they have had a chance to infect more of your herd.

Good luck!

We have definately been culling with Johne's. I just wish other breeders would realize that it IS out there, and should help push associations to test for this like the testing that has been done with brucellosis

I don;t think the associations will ever get invloved. It is going to depend on the indivual breeders. I know that if I was informed that I was selling catttle with a serious communicatable disease that I would sure as he.. start checking for it before I entered anything in a sale that had my name on it. It takes a good long while to develop the trust and confidence of you customers, but just one or two negative incidence to destroy it. For the folks that get into it for the short term maybe thats; acceptable. Weve been at it long enough and plan to be in for the long term. Word of mouth advertising that is positive can't be bought, but negative will bite you in the long term, and possibly in the short term. Maybe that's why so many of the seedstock producers are only around an average of 7 years.

dun

greatgerts":1fxmnnpb said:
We have definately been culling with Johne's. I just wish other breeders would realize that it IS out there, and should help push associations to test for this like the testing that has been done with brucellosis

Latest posts