Johnes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I would like more information. Can it be transmitted,and if so by what means? Also, are they working on a vaccine? Just need alot of answers to this. If this is something that we as cattle people should be aware of and is this becoming more of a problem. Thank you
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":fdgl72w8 said:
: I would like more information. Can it be transmitted,and if so by what means? Also, are they working on a vaccine? Just need alot of answers to this. If this is something that we as cattle people should be aware of and is this becoming more of a problem. Thank you<p>Johnes is a real problem in some herds, since animals are infected and transmit the causative bacteria for months or years before showing the clinical signs of this. It is often transmitted vertically (dam to calf) but horizontal transmission (cow to cow) can occur. Once a farm has it, it is difficult to clear. I personally don't know of a vaccine in development for it, but that's not really my field (I'm in practice, not research)....Transmission is fecal-oral (meaning manure contaminating grass or feed and passing that way) thus nursing calves are at highest risk. I've seen a bit of Johnes....not pleasant. Other questions, just ask!<br>V<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Check out the site below for more information about johnes disease. And YES there is a vaccine for johnes the only problem is many states in the U.S. don't allow it's use because the vaccine skews test results for tuberculosis. Some states do allow it's use but only if your herd tests positive for johnes disease.
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/johnes/">Johnes Disease</a></ul>

(User Above)":271qne5w said:
: Check out the site below for more information about johnes disease. And YES there is a vaccine for johnes the only problem is many states in the U.S. don't allow it's use because the vaccine skews test results for tuberculosis. Some states do allow it's use but only if your herd tests positive for johnes disease.<p>Can a bull that is starting to shed pass this on thru his seman?
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2yyva66a said:
: : Check out the site below for more information about johnes disease. And YES there is a vaccine for johnes the only problem is many states in the U.S. don't allow it's use because the vaccine skews test results for tuberculosis. Some states do allow it's use but only if your herd tests positive for johnes disease.<p>: Can a bull that is starting to shed pass this on thru his seman? Or is this strictly pass thru the female?<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

If cattle have diarrhea it's not necessarily Johnes disease, there are several other things that could be causing it also. If there are several cattle with diarrhea at the same time it's very unlikely that it's Johnes disease. I found another site, which covers several things that can cause diarrhea in cattle including Johnes disease. It states that a bull infected with Johnes disease can shed the organisms in their semen, but it hasn't been proven that they can pass the disease on during breeding. The most prevalent way of transmitting Johnes disease is through the manure from an infected animal, if feed is contaminated with the manure it can infect other cattle, calves being the most vulnerable.<p>I get my information the same way you do, through reading about it. Here in Wisconsin they publish a lot of information about Johnes disease in the farm papers; there was another article in the paper just this week. In Wisconsin there is a law that when you sell any cattle to someone in Wisconsin you're essentially guaranteeing that the animal is free of Johnes disease unless you specifically state that you don't guarantee them to be Johnes free, it may have to be in writing too, I'm not sure about that.<p>I've never had any cattle with Johnes disease symptoms, so I've never had any cattle tested for it. I have a closed herd except for the breeding bulls. The article that I read in the paper this week said that if you have a closed herd and you find one animal with Johnes disease you could have up to 50% of your herd infected with Johnes disease, so I guess the closed herd doesn't help unless you don't have the disease to start with.<br>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://128.192.20.19/LAM/LM000155.HTML">Cattle Diarrhea</a></ul>

Latest posts