Johnes or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I have a fullblood limo cow about 7 yrs old. Weaned calf in fall and she was very thin. BCS of about 2-3. We had a very wet summer so I thought it could be worms. Wormed herd in fall. Noticed very runny manure at times. Other times it is solid. Just recently noticed runny manure again. Vet had checked her in late Nov and confirmed her pregnant. She ate well until recently. The vet didn't seem to think anything was wrong with her. I am probably going to send her for slaughter because she has not regained weight over winter. Johnes can only be diagnosed through blood work. Why didn't my vet want to do blood work at the time when I relayed all these symptoms to him. The rest of the herd appears to be fine. All raised nice calves. Shoulkd I worm her again, get blood checked, or put her on wheels? Thanks.

mhill":3q680e10 said:
I have a fullblood limo cow about 7 yrs old. Weaned calf in fall and she was very thin. BCS of about 2-3. We had a very wet summer so I thought it could be worms. Wormed herd in fall. Noticed very runny manure at times. Other times it is solid. Just recently noticed runny manure again. Vet had checked her in late Nov and confirmed her pregnant. She ate well until recently. The vet didn't seem to think anything was wrong with her. I am probably going to send her for slaughter because she has not regained weight over winter. Johnes can only be diagnosed through blood work. Why didn't my vet want to do blood work at the time when I relayed all these symptoms to him. The rest of the herd appears to be fine. All raised nice calves. Shoulkd I worm her again, get blood checked, or put her on wheels? Thanks.
Have her tested for Johnes.
For all the info on Johnes disease go to http://www.johnes.org

Latest posts