Johnes in cow

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I have just had one of my cows test positive for Johnes. What are the chances of other cows contracting the disease. This cow had obvious signs but none of the others show any clinical signs. My vet hinted at testing all of them, but another farmer just said to cull the cow and her offspring. The group is wintered in a loafing shed and not on pasture. Any similar circumstances or opinions appreciated. This cow was purchased with two others within the past year from a respected breeder and was in superb condition with at purchase time. I am sending her and her calf to the sale tomorrow. I hope that is the end of it. I am leaning towards testing the others to know for sure.

That's a good question.. to test or not to test? Are you aware that any testing has to be reported to the Dept of Agriculture? If you have a certain percentage that test positive, you may be faced with eliminating your herd. (Depending on what state you're in.. ask your vet)

If this is the only cow that's shown symptoms, you definately want to ship her and any of her offspring. You can do that and just watch the remainder of the herd .. but it's an ongoing thing. It may take years to get all of it out of your herd. Johnes doesn't show up until cattle are 2+ years old. Any of the herd that have been exposed to the cow that has it are susceptable.. but the younger stock are the ones that are more vulnerable.

Anonymous":cu8k6nhc said:
That's a good question.. to test or not to test? Are you aware that any testing has to be reported to the Dept of Agriculture? If you have a certain percentage that test positive, you may be faced with eliminating your herd. (Depending on what state you're in.. ask your vet)

If this is the only cow that's shown symptoms, you definately want to ship her and any of her offspring. You can do that and just watch the remainder of the herd .. but it's an ongoing thing. It may take years to get all of it out of your herd. Johnes doesn't show up until cattle are 2+ years old. Any of the herd that have been exposed to the cow that has it are susceptable.. but the younger stock are the ones that are more vulnerable.
Get them all tested and get rid of anything that is POSITIVE; For SLAUGHTER.
GET THEM GONE AND DEAD.

I am having all others tested and my testing did go through the state vet lab. Hopefully everything else will come back negative. Lesson learned on purchasing cattle and trusting people.