Johne's Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

shanbruce

Reaction score
I am trying to find out as much info on Johne's Disease. One of our friend's says he thinks that may be what one of his mama cows has. It looked awful before it calved 2 weeks ago. I couldn't even tell she was pregnant. I have done some research on the internet, but thought you guys might give me some first hand advice. Thanks for any help!

I had a holstein cow that was diagnosed Johnes positive when I sent her to Penn State University for necropsy. She was thin, stinky, uncontrolled diahorea with what looked like air bubbles in it when it hit the concrete floor. As I recall the only way it's transmitted is for a young calf to come in contact with an infected cows manure. I had that one Johnes positive cow and never another in the next 10 years.

My husband went to see our friend's herd yesterday. He said another cow was having lots of diarreha (sp?). The reason I am so concerned is because we took 2 of our heifers (so they wouldn't get bred) to a field that is about 1/4 mile from the pasture with the infected cows. With our 2 heifers are 2 of our friend's heifers that came from the infected pasture. They have been together now for about 3 months. Until I get more info on this disease, I don't want our heifers back at our place.

shanbruce":o4s3bbay said:
My husband went to see our friend's herd yesterday. He said another cow was having lots of diarreha (sp?). The reason I am so concerned is because we took 2 of our heifers (so they wouldn't get bred) to a field that is about 1/4 mile from the pasture with the infected cows. With our 2 heifers are 2 of our friend's heifers that came from the infected pasture. They have been together now for about 3 months. Until I get more info on this disease, I don't want our heifers back at our place.

Have the cows tested ,the state will pay for the tests. You will need to wait to have the heifers tested until they are older.
If you want the contact info. PM me .

Thank you all for your help. I am new to this site and am still learning. Also, pretty new to the cattle business and still learning a lot about that too.

I believe it is very rare for a yearling or cow to get infected. It is generally acquired at birth to maybe a few months of age. If your animals were not born on their farm, my guess is they are fine. Testing can only be done on 2 year olds & older. Testing is NOT reliable if you get a negative result. Positive is pretty reliable. Manure samples are more reliable than blood tests, but take many weeks for results.
I would ask your vet for his/her opinion about returning these animals to your farm. My guess is they are safe. Just make sure they don't bring home manure on body/feet/trailer, etc. It can survive on your farm for a very long time. Don't walk their fields than go home with same boots. Biosecurity is extremely important.
Also, DO NOT USE COLOSTRUM from any farm but your own. That is the quickest way to introduce Johnes to your farm. It can be transmitted to the newborn thru the colostrum - whether direct from the dam or frozen from another one. Freezing does NOT kill it.

Thank you for that information. I think we have decided to sell our two heifers for a cow/calf pair just to be safe. We really hate to do that because these 2 heifers were our favorites. We only have about 20 cows and we name everyone of them. Of course this year, with the exception of one, every calf we have had has been a bull, so we will really miss these two. Better safe than sorry, and then next time we need to move heifers, we are going to have to get off our rears and get our place ready to handle that. No more moving them for us.

Would you not feel guilty, putting these 2 off on some unsuspecting farmer, and {MAYBE} infecting everything, or some of his other animals. JMO

tryinhard

Yes, I would. Chances are our two don't have it, since they are in a 40+ acre field with the 2 other heifers that were subject to Johne's. Before we put them together, the other heifers were in a field of 60+ acres with about 20 cows with the one that definitely has Johne's.

We aren't taking that chance though. Our luck, ours did get it, we bring them home and then 2 years from now, BAM!. We are taking them to the sale barn, as slaughter only.

A buyer needs to ask for a Johne's test. But now, since I've learned that the tests aren't that accurate, especially for young heifers, the test wouldn't help anyone.

It is just a bad situation all around. It makes you wonder if the cows you are buying have ever been subject to this disease. Kind of makes me a little panicky. I guess it all comes down to honesty and trusting your neighbor until you are burned.

The thing is - it is not really a matter of trusting. The seller may not be aware of any problem. It is a very sneaky disease. It is not as common with beef cattle as it is in the dairy industry.
That's why I warned about not using colostrum EVER from a dairy.

Latest posts