Johne's Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

TnWI

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a bull die from Johne's disease. The vet gave some info on the disease, but I am wondering what will happen with his other animals.

The bull had been on the farm for about 2 yrs, was brought onto the property when the animal was about 1 - 1 1/2 yrs old ---- and has been the main herd sire for his dairy and beef. Until now, there had never been a case of this disease on his property before. The vet said it takes about 2 yrs before the disease makes its presence known, and is transmitted through the manure.

Has anyone ever dealt with this disease???

TnWI":2ez39668 said:
A friend of mine had a bull die from Johne's disease. The vet gave some info on the disease, but I am wondering what will happen with his other animals.

The bull had been on the farm for about 2 yrs, was brought onto the property when the animal was about 1 - 1 1/2 yrs old ---- and has been the main herd sire for his dairy and beef. Until now, there had never been a case of this disease on his property before. The vet said it takes about 2 yrs before the disease makes its presence known, and is transmitted through the manure.

Has anyone ever dealt with this disease???

We haven't, but here is a whole bunch of information on it.

http://www.johnes.org

certherfbeef":1lfdodvd said:
Do a search on the forum for Johnes. Lots of information. Here is one link to get you started.
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=johnes

There is no way that I would keep a johnes suspect on my farm long enough to let it die.
Johnes is one of the scariest diseases out there...next to BSE.

The bull had been out with his beef herd most of the summer - never got a real good look at him until they brought the herd in to seperate the calves. Poor thing was already so thin - they called the vet, and within 3 days after blood work was done they had confirmed it to be Johne's disease. The bull was gone that night.

Johnes is characterized by fouling smelling diarrhea, which can come and go. They say animals over 2 years of age are most susceptible, can't say I have ever heard of a bull getting it. I think there are false positives sometimes, and a animal can have the disease and be a carrier, and never show signs of it. They get the diarrhea, and basically just waste away.

GMN

GMN":2tdsfglu said:
Johnes is characterized by fouling smelling diarrhea, which can come and go. They say animals over 2 years of age are most susceptible, can't say I have ever heard of a bull getting it. I think there are false positives sometimes, and a animal can have the disease and be a carrier, and never show signs of it. They get the diarrhea, and basically just waste away.

GMN

You may want to check out the link provided. The disease is shed in the manure, most animals pick it up as calves through nursing mothers whose udders are contaminated by being penned in muddy, manure laden corrals. Another significant source of infection is ponds. Any bovine animal can contract this disease (it may - keyword here being MAY - be tranmissible to humans, as well). Chrones Disease in humans bears a lot of resemblence to Johnes disease, but that could be just concidence. There is no difinitive answer yet, on whether it is transmissible or not. It is a very slow progressing so it usually takes 2 years or more to start manifesting symptoms, such as diarrhea and rapid weight loss. Johnes disease causes thickening of the small intestine which, in turn, prevents absorbtion of nutrients, and the diarrhea is a result of that.

yes a bull can get johns.theres only 1 way to get rid of johns.an that is test everything old enough to test.an cull all postive cows.its not safe to keep positive cows.an its very hard to get under control.

Latest posts