Johnes Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

What is hardware disease? Got a cow that was huge now she's nothing but bones and has a calf on her but not first one. Shes been wormed multiple time and in different ways with no effect, beneficial effects, anyway.

plash23":2om07stn said:
What is hardware disease? Got a cow that was huge now she's nothing but bones and has a calf on her but not first one. Shes been wormed multiple time and in different ways with no effect, beneficial effects, anyway.
Ingesting something like wire ar piece of metal or anything that can hang up in there gut and cause problems.

plash23":a2vwgwml said:

Is she raising a bigger calf? are your pastures worse this year? or is she scouring?

The pastures are a litte worse but none of the other cows are suffering, there is plenty of grass to go around. I'll post a pic of her and her sister huge difference. no scours either, I've had her up for the past few days was gonna wean calf a little early to give her break. I didn't really notice anything major just feed her all she would eat and there was def. no problem with her appetite. ???

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

plash23":2ttoqn92 said:
there is plenty of grass to go around. I didn't really notice anything major just feed her all she would eat and there was def. no problem with her appetite. ???
If all the pasture looks like where she is standing, it looks like it might be a little thin.

You didn't say anything about her calf. Is she doing an exceptional job raising the calf. Might be all her groceries are going to milk. And, yes, she may be just a hard keeper. Some cattle seem to survive on nothing and others need more groceries just to keep up.

There is plenty of grass to go around. It's been unusually dry past couple of weeks considering how wet it's been this year. But, so where they are standing is where they like to sleep; it gets a little more um...... abuse, than the rest of the pasture. Her calf is nothing spectacular. Average or less for age by comparison to rest of cows. Tried to get a pic but I can never find that animal. We put mama up (because calf was no where to found) for a couple of days thinking surely that the calf would come up and we could wean it. NO. As soon a let her out here it came. Grr lil pain.

???hard keeper: needy???

J&T Farm":2vgnkxwr said:
plash23":2vgnkxwr said:
Ingesting something like wire ar piece of metal or anything that can hang up in there gut and cause problems.
FENCE WIRE STAPLES.

wire "ties", aluminum can pieces, the rusted car sitting out in the pasture, fish hooks, nails and screws

is baling twine considered hardware or does it fall under a miscellaneous category?

No. Baling twine is not considered hardware. Harware is something METAL that can irritate or puncture.
BUT, baling twine can KILL. If they ingest enough, it will compact there inners & cause a total blockage.
Also, depends on their size. A big cow can consume quite a large amount of twine & pass it with their manure. A calf eating the same amount might get a blockage.
Also, I believe a cow can consume a larger amount of PLASTIC twine and it can just sit in their gut. If they accumulate enough, it interferes with the amount of feed they can consume to maintain their body weight, milk, etc.

We feed balage and have the plastic wrap to deal with - along with the net. I gather up every little scrap piece I can find, always worried about the cattle consuming it.
Than I see farms with plastic blowing everywhere. I know breeders that put out bales with the plastic twine completely left on the bales. Never hear of them having cattle die :shock: Mine would be dead sure as heck. Of course, their cows may not perform as well as they could if they have part of their stomach filled with garbage taking up space.

Latest posts