John Wilkes Booth

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Ok, let's not get this locked. I'm reading American Brutus which tells the story of the assissnation, Wilkes's upbringing and the conspiracy. This has really given me a new perspective on him. So, my question is, how is he perceived in the South? Is he looked upon as a hero and martyr, or as an aggitator that brought more scrutiny to the post-war South? I'd love to hear opinions from border states, deep states anywhere. Canadians, what were you taught?

AN ASSASSIN IS PRETTY MUCH AN ASSASSIN NO MATTER WHERE YOUR HISTORY AND ROOTS LIE....

THAT IS MY TAKE ON IT FROM SOUTH OF THE RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER.

TennesseeTuxedo":2rve4j6m said:
pdfangus":2rve4j6m said:
AN ASSASSIN IS PRETTY MUCH AN ASSASSIN NO MATTER WHERE YOUR HISTORY AND ROOTS LIE....

THAT IS MY TAKE ON IT FROM SOUTH OF THE RAPPAHANNOCK RIVER.

Screaming again?

He's just very passionate.

Bestoutwest":1vxyez8i said:
Canadians, what were you taught?

Nothing that I recall from school - But I guess that isn't out of the ordinary :lol: More so just hearing the name in movies and documentaries over the years. We typically pick up more of your history from that then actual school courses, they were busy teaching us about Samuel de Champlain, Jacques Cartier, John Cabot, Louis Riel, Hudsons Bay company, Upper and Lower Canada, the under ground railroad...etc

Bestoutwest":ysxrfvux said:
Ok, let's not get this locked. I'm reading American Brutus which tells the story of the assissnation, Wilkes's upbringing and the conspiracy. This has really given me a new perspective on him. So, my question is, how is he perceived in the South? Is he looked upon as a hero and martyr, or as an aggitator that brought more scrutiny to the post-war South? I'd love to hear opinions from border states, deep states anywhere. Canadians, what were you taught?

The is a lot of thought it was orchestrated by Northern interest to stop Lincoln. With Lincoln there would have been no reconstruction as known in the history books today.
Reconstruction had more to do with the hatred for the North than the war IMO

Bestoutwest":20bi350e said:

From a neutral border state, famous for fast women and beautiful horses, his place in history is not based on advancing any cause or agenda. His notoriety is not secured for committing just any assassination but the assassination of perhaps the greatest President of the United States of America.

Margonme":2mpoj6hz said:
Bestoutwest":2mpoj6hz said:

From a neutral border state, famous for fast women and beautiful horses, his place in history is not based on advancing any cause or agenda. His notoriety is not secured for committing just any assassination but the assassination of perhaps the greatest President of the United States of America.

my dear boy I fear that you are confusing Booth with Hinkley.....LOL

Margonme":326cjqof said:
Bestoutwest":326cjqof said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a pretty good actor for the day?

TennesseeTuxedo":hngvgi2m said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a pretty good actor for the day?

Yes, according to this book he toured nationally, got great reviews and was decently famous.

True Grit Farms":2pdibws6 said:

Toward Lincoln? I'm not trying to be argumentative here. As we all, there are multiple sides to history. As a kid growing up he was completely villified, but reading this has shed a new angle in him. Yes, he murdered a president, which is reprehensible, but he strongly believed he was fighting the tyranny of the north. It's just something I found interesting, and wondered what attitudes were in an area lincoln directly effected.

Caustic Burno":de9xut70 said:
With Lincoln there would have been no reconstruction as known in the history books today.

Please elaborate on this. Would it have been better or worse for the south?

pdfangus":t2agt71l said:
Margonme":t2agt71l said:
Bestoutwest":t2agt71l said:

my dear boy I fear that you are confusing Booth with Hinkley.....LOL

:lol2: ;-)

Bestoutwest":34emkwdb said:
Caustic Burno":34emkwdb said:
With Lincoln there would have been no reconstruction as known in the history books today.

Please elaborate on this. Would it have been better or worse for the south?

Much better for the south had Lincoln lived as his philosophy was malice towards none. He figured the south had payed enough already
http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/ ... -plan.html

Latest posts