John Deere

Help Support CattleToday:

Your area is behind. They already have electric tractors in California.
It's really less about the electric and more about manufacturing and selling a tractor that the average owner can work on. Between down time and inflated labor/parts prices tractors are getting too expensive to be comfortably viable. Maybe that's what Caustic Burno meant... we would do better with mules?

Last edited:
These big billionaires are missing a money making opportunity. Electric cars??? Elon Musk should be making tractors that can be worked on in the field by the buyer. You'd put Deere and Cat out of business. I mean... just how much technology is really necessary in something to pull farm implements and have a bucket/hay fork?
You should tell elon how he's f€©®{ing up...I think he's on Twitter

Can't imagine why. What a joke of inefficiency an electric tractor.
The only way to make that truly efficient and consume less energy is diesel electric like a locomotive. The rest is just cult of climate change propaganda.
Yeah, I was really trying to suggest someone should build a tractor that the average consumer could keep running without having to go to a dealership. But I'm not really sure that would go over in this world of people buying to brag about how much money they send on bells and whistles.

But the idea of a diesel driven generator isn't bad. The reason they use them in trains is because of the massive and steady torque from start to speed. Now you have me wondering why that hasn't been done. Or has it?

Yeah, I was really trying to suggest someone should build a tractor that the average consumer could keep running without having to go to a dealership. But I'm not really sure that would go over in this world of people buying to brag about how much money they send on bells and whistles.

But the idea of a diesel driven generator isn't bad. The reason they use them in trains is because of the massive and steady torque from start to speed. Now you have me wondering why that hasn't been done. Or has it?
I haven't seen it in tractors but I have ran diesel electric dozers.

Can't imagine why. What a joke of inefficiency an electric tractor.
The only way to make that truly efficient and consume less energy is diesel electric like a locomotive. The rest is just cult of climate change propaganda.
Why would an electric tractor be inefficient?

Why would an electric tractor be inefficient?
probably would be reasonably energy efficient, but time inefficient. A lot of electric vehicles, (semis included) get extended range from regenerative braking, and don't operate at peak power much
A tractor tilling fields will be operating close to peak power most of the time and will have no regenerative braking.. then you're going to have to drive it home to the charging station where it will dim the lights of the entire county for a quick charge (you're looking at megawatts on this), the batteries are going to be about 3 to 10 tonnes for a half a day of run time
For lighter use it would be fine, like feeding tractors and such that also don't have seasons where they need to run day and night to get stuff planted/harvested

These big billionaires are missing a money making opportunity. Electric cars??? Elon Musk should be making tractors that can be worked on in the field by the buyer. You'd put Deere and Cat out of business. I mean... just how much technology is really necessary in something to pull farm implements and have a bucket/hay fork?
Some farmers in my part of the country are going back to horse and mule-drawn implements. Mostly Amish. ;-) But, still...

How about government has really overstepped when it comes to some things related to agriculture, and needs to back off. You have morons in Washington, D.C., who never farmed a day in their lives and think we're stupid, making policies we must live by that do not fit our needs. The costs associated with this are putting small family farms out of business.

We need a resurgence of small farms, and fewer corporate farms. Seeing so many huge pieces of land for sale, well out of reach of most of us here, and equipment prices skyrocketing due to excessive regulation.

How about government has really overstepped when it comes to some things related to agriculture, and needs to back off. You have morons in Washington, D.C., who never farmed a day in their lives and think we're stupid, making policies we must live by that do not fit our needs. The costs associated with this are putting small family farms out of business.

We need a resurgence of small farms, and fewer corporate farms. Seeing so many huge pieces of land for sale, well out of reach of most of us here, and equipment prices skyrocketing due to excessive regulation.
Truth...

It never fails to amaze me that any kind of governmental support targets the big farms, those already efficient and reaping economies of scale, instead of those trying to build and become efficient.

Because they can't build one that'll run continuously for 10+ hours like a lot of farmers need them to.

Bobcat has an electric skid loader, but it'll only run for 4 hours at a time.
I reckon you could make one that runs for 10 minutes one a week. and that would suit lots of people just fine.

So how small should you be able to be and still make a living. ?

I reckon you could make one that runs for 10 minutes one a week. and that would suit lots of people just fine.

So how small should you be able to be and still make a living. ?
I have 35 acres that I worked hard to earn through a complete military career. Building from scratch with nothing except worn out perimeter and some cross fence (that needs to be replaced with more suitable fence for what I do) and good grass. My operation is entirely self funded. Nothing passed down. USDA hasn't been especially helpful. I'd like to be able to earn a living on what I've got. I suspect many new farmers, who don't have generational wealth/land passed down and are also starting relatively small, think the same.

(There are people making six figures on 1/4 acre.)

I have 35 acres that I worked hard to earn through a complete military career. Building from scratch with nothing except worn out perimeter and some cross fence (that needs to be replaced with more suitable fence for what I do) and good grass. My operation is entirely self funded. Nothing passed down. USDA hasn't been especially helpful. I'd like to be able to earn a living on what I've got. I suspect many new farmers, who don't have generational wealth/land passed down and are also starting relatively small, think the same.

(There are people making six figures on 1/4 acre.)
That's very admirable. And I'm with you on getting the government out of ag.
Thing is everyone thinks because they have a few acres and a dream they are entitled to a profit
No business works that way. Just because you have any amount of land doesn't mean you know what your doing.
Seems lots of folks retire into ag . Thinking all they gotta do is have land and cows they should be in the black the first year. Most small business is a lifetime investment. Ag should be no different.
Edit to add.just like when the cafe down the road closes down. Some people are always going to fail. That's how it's supposed to work

That's very admirable. And I'm with you on getting the government out of ag.
Thing is everyone thinks because they have a few acres and a dream they are entitled to a profit
No business works that way. Just because you have any amount of land doesn't mean you know what your doing.
Seems lots of folks retire into ag . Thinking all they gotta do is have land and cows they should be in the black the first year. Most small business is a lifetime investment. Ag should be no different.
Edit to add.just like when the cafe down the road closes down. Some people are always going to fail. That's how it's supposed to work
Truth, all you said above. I'll be in the red for a bit, but entered into "the business" knowing that I don't know everything and that I'd also have to build infrastructure, fertilize, etc., at a loss up front. I "retired into ag" and am fortunate to have been able to have done so. Ag is often romanticized, and after a few months of owning livestock with whom I work with directly every day I think this is fitting, but it is a lot of work, especially if you're also holding down a fulltime job and family.

It used to be that homesteads were a 1/4 section and people made a living on them
In South Dakota, east of Newell going toward Faith, there is a county road with little signs every fifteen miles stating that it was once the location of a post office. I don't know for sure, but I expect it was once an area that was opened up to homesteading. Now the land is pretty barren and the ranches are huge but it takes a lot of ground to make a living. You can drive quite a few miles without seeing any buildings.

On the other hand, my place in Arkansas would support a cow/calf unit on about an acre and a half. I did pretty well with eighty acres, but then I was doing a lot of trading back then, too.