John Deere

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Next is you'll have to subscribe to a plan that keeps you able to run your equipment.
You will own nothing.
I agree. I just don't think I can ever bring myself to buy one of these computer controlled tractors.
If you bypass the regen 3 times on my FIL's Kubota it cost $1000 for the dealer to come hook the computer up to it and get it out of limp mode.

I agree. I just don't think I can ever bring myself to buy one of these computer controlled tractors.
If you bypass the regen 3 times on my FIL's Kubota it cost $1000 for the dealer to come hook the computer up to it and get it out of limp mode.
my newest tractor is a 1983 for good reason... I can fix anything on it

I think it's Toyota that started using a subscription model for extras on the vehicle.. like heated seats, nav, etc...

Russians stole John Deere equipment from a dealership in Ukraine. Deere was able to shut it off remotely and it cannot be operated. I wonder if you were financed with Deere credit and got behind with payments would they shut you down and till they got a payment.
They make the real money when a code appears on the screen and only they can diagnose and maybe fix it. May take a few "fixes" before it is really fixed. Very expensive to own a new tractor after about 1000 hours. They can hook up a laptop and some guy a thousand miles away can start the tractor and "work" on it. Minor problem that should not affect operation can result in derated (lowered HP) condition to maybe comply with emissions and encourage you to seek help. Often not a real problem, but a sensor that needs replacement. Pre DPF and DEF tractors bring a premium for a reason. Might be the way to go unless the Russians show up.

Not sure who would want a Russian tractor.
We old folks are more than a decade behind in understanding the global economy.
John Deere has dealerships in Russia.

p.s.
MTZ "Minsk Tractor Works" is one of the world's largest tractor manufacturers with dealers in nearly 100 countries world wide and Belarus has sold a good number of tractors here in the USA starting back in the late '70s
Our local David Brown dealer (remember them?) carried Belarus as an economy tractor back then.

Last edited:
They make the real money when a code appears on the screen and only they can diagnose and maybe fix it. May take a few "fixes" before it is really fixed. Very expensive to own a new tractor after about 1000 hours. They can hook up a laptop and some guy a thousand miles away can start the tractor and "work" on it. Minor problem that should not affect operation can result in derated (lowered HP) condition to maybe comply with emissions and encourage you to seek help. Often not a real problem, but a sensor that needs replacement. Pre DPF and DEF tractors bring a premium for a reason. Might be the way to go unless the Russians show up.
I've got both and i.consider the def to be more trouble free than the diesel Regen machines

I've got both and i.consider the def to be more trouble free than the diesel Regen machines

Simme said, "Pre DPF and DEF tractors bring a premium for a reason." Note the work AND. He was not comparing DPF and DEF, he was saying pre- both of them!

For Kubota that would be the xx40 series of tractors. They are worth as much or more now then when they were new.

Simme said, "Pre DPF and DEF tractors bring a premium for a reason." Note the work AND. He was not comparing DPF and DEF, he was saying pre- both of them!

For Kubota that would be the xx40 series of tractors. They are worth as much or more now then when they were new.
I was making a statement that I consider def the better of the two .

We old folks are more than a decade behind in understanding the global economy.
John Deere has dealerships in Russia.

p.s.
MTZ "Minsk Tractor Works" is one of the world's largest tractor manufacturers with dealers in nearly 100 countries world wide and Belarus has sold a good number of tractors here in the USA starting back in the late '70s
Our local David Brown dealer (remember them?) carried Belarus as an economy tractor back then.

Key word there, "carried". Past tense.

Seems like not many of those imported tractor companies stuck around and supported their products. There's a lot of them sitting under the shade tree because you can't get any parts to fix them.

We have a handful of Branson tractors. Two out of five run well and are dependable, two more run but occasionally have overheating trouble (cracked heads patched with stop leak, good luck finding a head), and one is sitting in the scrap pile with a rod hanging out of the block.

Seems like not many of those imported tractor companies stuck around and supported their products. There's a lot of them sitting under the shade tree because you can't get any parts to fix them.

We have a handful of Branson tractors. Two out of five run well and are dependable, two more run but occasionally have overheating trouble (cracked heads patched with stop leak, good luck finding a head), and one is sitting in the scrap pile with a rod hanging out of the block.
I've always been scared of the off brands for that reason. I know a guy that bought a new Montana tractor when they were on the scene, ended up having to scrap it over something minor due to not being able to get parts.

True.
But my point was both Ukraine and Russia have John Deere dealerships.
Simme was implying only Russian tractors were available in Russia.
We're in a global economy with technology available globally.
It's amazing to me the high % of 3rd world country citizens who have cell phones.

Last edited:
True.
But my point was both Ukraine and Russia have John Deere dealerships.
Simme was implying only Russian tractors were available in Russia.
We're in a global economy with technology available globally.
It's amazing to me the high % of 3rd world country citizens who have cell phones.
It's too bad Russian tanks don't use ignition systems made for JD tractors...

Latest posts