John Deere hydro problem

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Started tearing out some old fence tonigh and my 5303 JD started giving me some trouble. The steering and the loader are real slow and jerky. I check the fluid level and it was good. I could rev up the engine and it the loader would move a little better but not much. I used it for maybe 15 minutes like that then parked it back in the barn. When I cut the tractor off I could hear air coming from somewhere near the back. I took the dip stick out where you check the hydraulic fluid at and there was a lot of pressure behind it and a lot of air came out. Any ideas? Iam thinking maybe it's sucking in air somewhere on the sucksion side? Or the filter could be plugged ??

There's a screen and a filter that the hydraulic fluid runs thru. My guess is the screen needs to be cleaned. It's on the back of the tractor about 5 O'clock from the pto shaft.

Kinda confused, are you for sure it is JD-5303 and are you sure it has a hydro transmission. My guess it is a synchronize transmission or regular if a JD 5303. The transmission should have a vent as when you pulled the dip stick out there should have been no pressure/air release. As cfpinz said I would change the filter ASAP/oil and use only JD-Hygard also what TGF said about the round screen you pull out needs cleaned. I know the oil is expensive, but the damage/cost the wrong oil can do is unreal. When you let the old oil out look at is closely to see if anything is in it like brake particles that could stop up pumps/screens/vents etc. I know some use other oil with luck, but with a JD I only use Hy-gard hydro oil.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... ssion.html

Sorry I mean hydraulic problems. It has around 1200 hours on it I have always changed the filter every 100 hours. Iam head to the Deere place to get a new filter and fluid. I will check the screen that's near the pto for sure. I'll let y'all know what I find tonight. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

pricefarm":1ywprezv said:
Sorry I mean hydraulic problems. It has around 1200 hours on it I have always changed the filter every 100 hours. Iam head to the Deere place to get a new filter and fluid. I will check the screen that's near the pto for sure. I'll let y'all know what I find tonight. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

The first time I cleaned the rear screen on my JD it was coated with metal particles and I think that was around 600 hours, also changed the hydro oil and filter then with OEM. The next couple of times I have pulled the screen out it had very little on it (around 1200 hrs and 1800 hrs.) I bet TGF is right that the screen is restricting flow if it has not been cleaned in 1200 hrs.

I hope so. I haven't ever pulled the screen or changed the fluid in this tractor. I have on my 5525 JD. I agree with you I always use John Deere filters and fluid. I can buy JD filters about as cheap as a wix filter.

pricefarm":15ffc0mv said:
I hope so. I haven't ever pulled the screen or changed the fluid in this tractor. I have on my 5525 JD. I agree with you I always use John Deere filters and fluid. I can buy JD filters about as cheap as a wix filter.

atAU2IA.gif

Take an old tooth brush and/or air pressure cleans it good.

images

I drained the hydraulic oil out and it looked really dark but yet it looked kinda milky like it had water in it. The drain plug which has a magnet on it was cover with metal shavings. The screen in the back near the pto had a lot of metal shavings on it as well and had some gunk on it. I took the filter off and cut it in half to look at it and it was dirty but not bad. I put new fluid in it and replace the filter and it seems like that done the trick. So far so good.

Check your shifter boots for cracks! That is how water got into my 5420 and is a common problem with the Deere 5000 series.

my deere recommended not to change hydro until 1200 hrs. my brakes ended up locking up from metal shavings.

I recommend everyone change filter, fluid, and clean the rear screen at 600 hours or even before.

ddd75":7uyz79as said:
my deere recommended not to change hydro until 1200 hrs. my brakes ended up locking up from metal shavings.

I recommend everyone change filter, fluid, and clean the rear screen at 600 hours or even before.

Also I will add to that John Deere Hy-gard Hydro oil. I tried what I thought was top of the line hydro oil in my John Deere, as no dealer very close, and after about 20 hours the brakes starting a scuffing sound. I drained it immediately and put Hy-gard in. They started working right as soon as I put it in as hopefully no damage as it has been a while.

There's a screen and a filter that the hydraulic fluid runs thru. My guess is the screen needs to be cleaned. It's on the back of the tractor about 5 O'clock from the pto shaft.
How do you get the little housing out that holds the screen. I undid the two bolts but cover would not pull out