John Deere Fans

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I know that John Deere tractors have always had a good name. For some reason, there were not a lot in my area in years past; I suppose because we didn't have a local dealer. No matter what other kind of tractor people like, however, I notice they won't say "my tractor is better than yours" to a John Deere owner.

For those that own and like them, what is it about them that is superior to others. Are they just built better, stronger, and less likely to break down?

Are they also a comfortable ride? I'm not just talking about the seat, but how everything is layed out from steering wheel to levers, pedals, and shifts. That may sound silly, but I know a guy whose boss got a new tractor(not sure what kind) and he says he feels like he's been working a team of mules after a days work compared to his old Massey. I could relate. I know different models have different feels.

John Deere is the most user friendly tractor, and has the best hydraulic system. And parts availability is second to none, everything is going to break it's just a matter of time. Nobody can compare to John Deere on dollars spent on research and development. I kind of regret not buying another JD tractor, but JD service stinks when your in farm country. The big dogs come first, even if it's your turn.

The last tractor I bought a 5085m was for a pretty specific use. To put a cm mounted 2 row transplanter on. To do so I have to hang a 200 gallon water tank on the front. So I wanted a frame rail along the motor of some sort to be able to handle that with out breaking in half. Most cnh and others including the 5e series deere in this size class only have the motor with front end hanging off it no rails. Prolly work didn't want to try it. The 5m has a bolted together frame rails not like a 6 series with one piece whole lengh of tractor. Also has to have lift power to pick up transplanter and people on it at a decent speed. And has to geared to run around 1mph and not at idle. I did a lot of looking really wanted a 6220 but hell to find. I also need 4wd for the heavier front end and to use if on hill setter trys to pull down hill, and wet ground when picking up tobacco. Also needed to be able to spread the wheels out to go down 40'' rows to pull liquid sidedresser. This tractor is not perfect but fit my needs to a tee, along with fine dealer support. I noticed this morning I have put real close to 300 hrs on it since this spring with zero problems. Will i spend the extra for another deere? Forsure! We have other deere eqt. and tractors also and they have all done well for us. But we have other brands that do well for us too. But they have had more clutch work rebuilt motors etc. with same or less hrs.

insane resale values also.

i've put 1700 hours on mine and can sell it for what i paid.

Yes layout makes a huge difference especially if you spend hours on one at a time. Like Grit said JD has best hydraulics and parts availability. Even old tractors are easy to get parts for. Usually more torque in their motors also so even at equal hp a JD will pull better. Nothing steers like a Deere either.

FWIW I wasn't a JD man till I ran one. Don't think I will go back now.

well your not going to like my opion of JD.i bought a kubota 7040su in 2013 new.brother decided he wanted jd so he bought a 6105d gear drive ran it 3yrs baling hay once a year put less than 200hrs on it.sold it this year.he got $39.000 for it.traded the 7040su for a 2012 case 110a i gave $43.900 for the case.

SmokinM":2kebfiy7 said:
Yes layout makes a huge difference especially if you spend hours on one at a time. Like Grit said JD has best hydraulics and parts availability. Even old tractors are easy to get parts for. Usually more torque in their motors also so even at equal hp a JD will pull better. Nothing steers like a Deere either.

I was pretty high on John Deere until we got a NH 8670. John Deere never made a tractor like that.

We have parts on hand from the new R series back to the A's and B's. I grew up with every color tractor and the Deere's were the easiest for me to use still to this day.

I'm not really a die hard brand special person, trucks don't really care tractors, ATVs anything. I look more for fit and finish and service and parts. As said before everything has issues at some point and the Deere dealer usually has the parts or can get em in a hurry, even the older stuff. Got to know some real good service techs over the years and they are super helpful suggesting parts to maybe keep on hand for certain things and always go above and beyond when I have issues or fixing something myself. If you spend long hours in a tractor cab a Deere is pretty hard to beat on being user friendly and comfortable. Everyone has their own opinions though, just my 2cents

Smoothy":327x023y said:
I'm not really a die hard brand special person, trucks don't really care tractors, ATVs anything. I look more for fit and finish and service and parts. As said before everything has issues at some point and the Deere dealer usually has the parts or can get em in a hurry, even the older stuff. Got to know some real good service techs over the years and they are super helpful suggesting parts to maybe keep on hand for certain things and always go above and beyond when I have issues or fixing something myself. If you spend long hours in a tractor cab a Deere is pretty hard to beat on being user friendly and comfortable. Everyone has their own opinions though, just my 2cents
We have a local JD dealer and akubota dealer. The JD guys know what they are doing and can get parts within usually a day unless it's some real weird deal. The kubota guys ship anything more then an oil change or a hydraulic hose to the main dealer HQ. Even if the fix it here they have to send to the main dealer to get the parts. I have an older kubota tractor I use for raking and general brush pushing and log pulling. I had it in the dealer to have a strange hydraulic hose replaced. Took them almost 2 weeks to get it changed. While it was there I asked them how to get the loader off since it's supposedly an easy off easy on kind. They told me they had never seen one like mine before (kubota factory loader) and the guys at the main deal couldn;t figure it out either. I'll stick with JD thank you

Silver":ohggbnlh said:
SmokinM":ohggbnlh said:

I was pretty high on John Deere until we got a NH 8670. John Deere never made a tractor like that.

Must be a way better tractor than a any of the T series. Have a Tl90 and have run some TN's can tell you they don't even come close. Glad you like them but they sure haven't impressed me.

Latest posts