John Deere Batteries in a Dodge/Cummins Pick-Up

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Anyone ever installed John Deere Batteries in a Dodge / Cummins pick-up? The factory installed batteries lasted seven years, I replaced them with AutoZone's best Batteries. The third set in nine years has just failed. I'm thinking [which could be dangerious] about switching back to Dodge OEM or Caterpillar, John Deere. Have any of you made this switch and was it an improvement. What Batteries would you suggest?

I almost always buy the john batteries because they are setting on the shelf dry. Maybe no better but I like that.

My guy tells me, that they recycle lead so much, that batteries are just junk now. Idk, but it seems plausible.

In my truck I replace the battery every 3 years as a matter of course, and demote the old battery to farm use.. if it screws up, it's not a big deal on the farm, if it does it in my truck when I'm 100 miles from nowhere, it is a big deal!

I also load test every battery when it's coming up on the end of the "Free replacement" warranty period, if it doesn't pass it gets returned, even if it hasn't caused me grief yet

I agree on Optima and Deka batteries being better than most. I have had terrible luck with Cat batteries the past couple years, at work I've replaced Batteries in 2 trachoes that were less than a year old and 2 sets of batteries in a telehandler before it was even 3 years old. Even a Caterpillar mechanic told me they have been having lots of problems with Cat batteries.

I have a Cannonball bale bed. It's electric over hydraulic. Optima's are the only battery that can handle that drain when I'm feeding and it's really cold outside.

rural king has batteries for a good price.. they made the factory battery in my JD (different brand)

Few years ago a heavy equipment mechanic buddy of mine said that Cat batteries were the only ones that used virgin lead anymore and those batteries lasted forever. They have since went to recycled lead like all the others and now they are no better than any other.

Now I go with batteries from the local Napa and replace them every couple years in the pickup. Replacing them before they fail is much easier than when your on the side of the road someplace at -30*F with snow and wind howling.

Latest posts