John Deere and the Right to Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought a new Massey back in '06. Sweet little tractor that never gave me a problem. But I'm not a crop farmer with a time sensitive crop or planting/harvesting window. I had alternatives to the tractor if it wasn't able to be used.

Imo, it's crazy how complicated equipment has become. Especially if it means the difference between making an income for a year... or not. And we all know that equipment can be made to be reliable without being made to be unreasonably complicated. The amount of technology has trade-offs. A thousand dollars of extra fancy tech for twenty dollars in improved utility, and on top of it being unable to repair when it breaks, isn't going to work in the long run. Buyers should know that, but it's amazing how many people have been conditioned to buy the newest thing as though it's the best idea.

Several years ago I read through JD attorneys position on right to repair... what a pack of jackals.

A far cry from Benjamin Franklin's refusal to patent any of his inventions. His reply to his friend the governor of Pennsylvania
in 1745 who was pushing him to patent his design of the Franklin stove. "That as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions
of others, we should be glad of the opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours and this we should do freely and generously."

Overly idealistic, but gotta admire Franklin for putting his money where his mouth was with his actions.
I don't have a solution, but there's got to be some kind of balance between pure greed and altruism.

Several years ago I read through JD attorneys position on right to repair... what a pack of jackals.

A far cry from Benjamin Franklin's refusal to patent any of his inventions. His reply to his friend the governor of Pennsylvania
in 1745 who was pushing him to patent his design of the Franklin stove. "That as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions
of others, we should be glad of the opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours and this we should do freely and generously."

Overly idealistic, but gotta admire Franklin for putting his money where his mouth was with his actions.
I don't have a solution, but there's got to be some kind of balance between pure greed and altruism.
I wonder if anyone has ever considered placing a government "royalty" on patented goods? After all, if the product comes to be sold, it is the government that assures the patent is enforced. If someone chooses to open source their invention there would be no royalty required.

Just thinking out loud...

I have very mixed feelings on this. Although I do not like it, I'm not sure where it sits from a legal stand point with me.

For some reason I feel like there are other cases of this bit I can not think of one. In most cases it would be more of a lease situation so they could keep control of the product.

Imo, it's crazy how complicated equipment has become. Especially if it means the difference between making an income for a year... or not. And we all know that equipment can be made to be reliable without being made to be unreasonably complicated. The amount of technology has trade-offs. A thousand dollars of extra fancy tech for twenty dollars in improved utility, and on top of it being unable to repair when it breaks, isn't going to work in the long run. Buyers should know that, but it's amazing how many people have been conditioned to buy the newest thing as though it's the best idea.
Many don't buy into the newest ,unable to repair tractors at all cost. If you doubt this all you have to do is look at the prices of tractors before all this was implemented. Many are selling today as well used at or above what they sold for new.
It's one thing for a company to charge for their diagnostic equipment and a yearly fee to use it . But John Deere and others went an overboard when they won't license the diagnostic computers or allow any one else to work on them. I thing they will look back and regret the choice because I thing it will be a net looser of money in the long run.

There are almost always 2 sides to every story, and usually 3 if it's in the courts, but I'm of the belief that JD went a bit overboard on their version of no right to repair. Right up there with the prick from Nestle and his belief that clean water isn't a right...just saying

A lot of the older tractors/equipment parts are getting harder to get. The new tractors are very expensive and scary to buy from all the extra EPA additions they have. When the warranty is out on a newer tractor it may not be worth fixing if much wrong with it.

Last edited:
I have no doubt in my lifetime water will be traded on the stock exchange like any other commodity. I have sat with people who are actively trying to pursue that.

Water rights will be one of the top 3 issues I will see in my lifetime.
My brother swears the next WW will be fought over clean water.

Colorado passes right to repair...who is next?
I'm scratching my head and also laugh my ass off. Haven't even finished watching the video, but yes....... we want the right to repair to hot rod our machinery........ because that is all we care about, right? Hot rod tractors, because they feed the cows so much better or work up the field, or seed just so much faster........ I will look so cool in a hot rod green one.
How frigging much are these lawmakers of industries removed from the reality of farming, apparently even the big tractor manufacturers. I could go on, but what for...........

My brother swears the next WW will be fought over clean water.
Brute 23 said:
I have no doubt in my lifetime water will be traded on the stock exchange like any other commodity. I have sat with people who are actively trying to pursue that.

Water rights will be one of the top 3 issues I will see in my lifetime.

Oddly, I heard the same thing back about the same time I was promised a flying car by year 2000.
I don't care much about the water one way or another but I want my flyin car dammit!