John Deere 6x4 Gator

Help Support CattleToday:

charter capt

Reaction score
When we bought the farm in TN, we got a gator that the farm caretaker had ran the engine without oil. We got it running and checked out the driveline. It runs and drives out OK, but the engine has a severe bottom end knock. The gator is not in perfect cosmetic shape, but is basically OK other than needing a new engine. I have found a new engine for $1800 and I am not sure if it is worth putting this much money in an older model gator. :?: What do ya'll think?

Only my opinion, but if he took this poor of care with something as important as engine oil, who knows what else he neglected. I would pass on the headache. If you have the $$ and need one, see what they will give you on trade.... probably better than scrap and get the diesel 4x4 ;-) Much better machine and bigger payload capacity.

Michele

i for 1 would not put $1800 in a motor overhaul of an old gator.id trade the gator in on a new 1.an put the $1800 on the new 1 as well.you can get a new gator for $9000 more or less.surely that old gator is worth $1200 trade in.

if its easy to get at i'd pull the sump and try each big end for slop. buy a set of bearings (slippers) probably $100 and put them in.

After all the bloke was a caretaker wasn't he ?Why would he care ,don't mean the rest is bad.

Tyler Patterson":ll8f30ef said:
Angus/Brangus":ll8f30ef said:
Get a Polaris Ranger which will drag a mule around by its gonads.

well said, i couldnt agree more
i bought a polaris 4 wheeler back in the mid 90s.an it ran for about 3yrs an quit on me.so i spent $1200.on it.new starter an overhaul overhauled the carb.an with all that work it ran 3wks an died for good.an the chain was always popping off.

bigbull338":z6iarkd4 said:
Tyler Patterson":z6iarkd4 said:
Angus/Brangus":z6iarkd4 said:

i bought a polaris 4 wheeler back in the mid 90s.an it ran for about 3yrs an quit on me.so i spent $1200.on it.new starter an overhaul overhauled the carb.an with all that work it ran 3wks an died for good.an the chain was always popping off.
]

I have never had that problem, and we beat the heck out of it. maybe its because ours is newer, maybe early 2000's i think

bigbull338":2c1558hu said:
Tyler Patterson":2c1558hu said:
Angus/Brangus":2c1558hu said:

had a 96 express 2stroke 2wd. burried one time in a lake bed where a creek ran in. burried it litterarly up to the handle bars. it took 3 other fourwheerls ( 4 wheel drives) and 4 men to get it out.

We took the seat and airfilter off washed the filter off in lake, stood it on backend to drain mud and all out of pipe.

set it back down fired it off and drove the rest of the day. I eventually had to get it rejetted but it was a great rig.

Angus/Brangus":2brpd9ev said:

What about the bobcat brand rig. uses the kubota diesel motor but has extra features.!!! some one told me it's the only rig that's 4 wheel drive is a true 4wd all 4 tires pull.

Ask yourself if you're really going to need one - $9000 is a nice chunk toward a mid-size tractor that is probably going to be used much more and will come in handier than the Gator. Of course, if you're rich just buy both! ;-)

good point, that bobcat though has a quick attatch and hydro dumb bed. there is supose to be a BUNCH of attatchments for it.

Seems like I read somewhere that the Bobcat's cost somewhere between $25,000 and $30,000 without any attachments...... could be wrong but seems very familiar. Kubota also makes an RTV now.

the one i was quoted was like 12k. 4 passenger one w/ diesel motor and it seemed to be the best rtv on the market. 25k - 30k might buy a skid steer or 2 or 3 rtvs :lol:

We looked at all the brands, JD, Mule, Ranger, etc. Ended up getting a cargo golf cart for $2300. It does everything we need it to do and more. You can get bumpy tires and/or 4 wheel drive too. Plus the cargo space is way more than a gator/mule/ranger. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Iowa,
What kind of cargo golf cart did you get? Can you post some more info about it? The main thing the gator would be used for is for the wife running around on the farm. The golf cart may just fit the bill.
Thanks

I think it's a Yamaha. It is a gas. Being in Fl. I dare bet there are a few golf car dealers around. :) Ours used to be a beercart used on the course. I use it in my punkin patch (3 acres) and I can fill it plumb full and it works great. We also have a cattle sale on Labor Day and we cart around customers in it. We saved a lot of money b/c we already have a 4 wheeler for other stuff.