John Deere 6415 trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
Three years ago I bought a new 6415 for my retirement tractor. A neighbor bought one at the same time, both were ordered and came in at the same time. They are going out of warranty in July and going down the road. Nothing but trouble with them, all small stuff that has me worried. The heater core in the cab has went to pot three times, the air conditioner never seems to work, block heaters going out, the list goes on and on. My tractor has 522 hours on it and today I am signing the papers on a new 6330. Does anyone else have one? John Deere is my only option to buy, every other dealer is too far away, and there are business considerations. I don't want to be in this perdictment in another three years. I bought a Ford 7600 new in 1976, must have 12 thousand hours on it and never saw the inside of a shop, except for mine. Thanks for any comments. gs

Angus Cowman":31j82qjd said:
Sounds like you will just have the same thing all over again
That's what I am afraid of too. Went back on some posts and people are pleased with their 6400 series tractors. I am going with 6300 series just for the sake of change. gs

plumber_greg":2vcazgsn said:
Angus Cowman":2vcazgsn said:
That's what I am afraid of too. Went back on some posts and people are pleased with their 6400 series tractors. I am going with 6300 series just for the sake of change. gs
check your pm

plumber_greg":2mxnak41 said:
Angus Cowman":2mxnak41 said:
I had a 6400, a 6410, a 6415 and a 7400 and I wasn't happy with any of them if they are in the shop they aren't making me any money, when I bought the first 2 NH I kept the 6410 for my wife and after the first day of running a NH she said to sell the JD and go buy her a NH so in less than 3 months I went from Green to Blue

the 63 series and 64 series are basically the same tractors with a few minor differences I hope it works out for you but if I was gonna change I think I would step up to a 7 series I know they are more money but also a heavier framed tractor and I had better luck with them

We have a 6400 that was bought new in 95 with over 8000 hours on it and a 6420 that we bought new 5 years ago with almost 1500 hours. The 6400 has been abused unmercifully and the 6420 has had lighter use and easier drivers. The 00 has had plenty of repair bills but is still going, the 20 is in my shop right now with a busted fuel injector. However the overall quality on Deere is going downhill fast.

plumber_greg":35z6wrgx said:
1982vett":35z6wrgx said:
Go find a good 4440.
How could you beat the old 4020, I'm not sure 50 thousand hours wore them out.
:p Oh, I guess it has to do with the Texas heat. But a retirement tractor (for a southerner) should have a cab and cold air. :lol: Besides, you were wanting a "new" tractor, not and "antique". :p Not to many of them 4020's had A/C.

plumber_greg":3tuhi3os said:
Three years ago I bought a new 6415 for my retirement tractor. A neighbor bought one at the same time, both were ordered and came in at the same time. They are going out of warranty in July and going down the road. Nothing but trouble with them, all small stuff that has me worried. The heater core in the cab has went to pot three times, the air conditioner never seems to work, block heaters going out, the list goes on and on. My tractor has 522 hours on it and today I am signing the papers on a new 6330. Does anyone else have one? John Deere is my only option to buy, every other dealer is too far away, and there are business considerations. I don't want to be in this perdictment in another three years. I bought a Ford 7600 new in 1976, must have 12 thousand hours on it and never saw the inside of a shop, except for mine. Thanks for any comments. gs

I have two 6220- predecessor to the 30 series (same tractor except yours will be a litle more HP). You will be pleased, ours are 2002 and 2005 models. Each has over 1000 hours, no trouble other than mice chewed up some of my wiring harnesses- and that's not John Deere's fault.
I love the PowerQuad transmission with shuttleshift. Uses anywhere from 2-4 gallons/hour depending on how hard you are working it.

hardyboy":lbr0b9r9 said:
plumber_greg":lbr0b9r9 said:

I have two 6220- predecessor to the 30 series (same tractor except yours will be a litle more HP). You will be pleased, ours are 2002 and 2005 models. Each has over 1000 hours, no trouble other than mice chewed up some of my wiring harnesses- and that's not John Deere's fault.
I love the PowerQuad transmission with shuttleshift. Uses anywhere from 2-4 gallons/hour depending on how hard you are working it.
My dealer said he talked to the JD people about the mice problem and wiring. Tractors sit in barns, not houses. gs