John Deere 5310 fuel pump leak?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheLazyM

Reaction score
I'm In the process of buying a john deere. I'm torn between 2 machines. A 5300 w/ a 520 loader and a 5310 w/ a 540 loader. The stealer is only asking $100 more for the 5310 and it's 3 years newer but has the nearly the same hours on each machine. The problem? I hooked up on the 5300 yesterday. Today as I was measuring up the 5300 to see if my trailer was long enough I noticed a few cosmetic flaws. One of which is the left step is bent pretty good but very much still useable. The loader's bucket is cracked on top edge. Really no big deal. Then I see the 5310. Which when finding the 5300 I was really looking for something more around 55 hp at the pto. This 5310 is CLEAN. The only paint that is worn is on the platform no doubt boot scuffs. Matter of fact I really doubtthe bucket is orginal or it was'nt used cause there is no wear in the paint. But, the stealer says the 5310 has a very small fuel leak at the pump. Said either a bolt on the pump came lose or out. Said it was alittle hard to get to it where it was located. I saw them use this machine to loud a scoup on to a trailer. I went over and looked under the tractor and where they got the scoup from and even beside the trailer they loaded and I could'nt see or smell any fuel. They say the leak is very small. My question is how hard is it to remove/replace a fuel pump on this model tractor? My mind is telling me that this is alot more tractor for just a $100 difference. My busness sence tells me I could be jumping into deep water. It seems to me the low price might be reflecting the job.
Either way I would consider doing the job myself or getting someone provided it wont sink me. I tried looking up on line repair manuals to see what I'm up against. All I can find is manuals to buy. Which I would but I'm not spending $250 untell I buy the machine.

Is it the injection pump leaking?

I've got two friends that bought 5410's brand new and both ended up having the injection pumps replaced under warranty. Kept losing prime.

cfpinz

cfpinz":22worg1a said:
Is it the injection pump leaking?

I cant answer that. I sorta think that is what he said, but then again I know he said fuel pump I just cant remember if injection was mentioned or not. Do this tractors have 2 fuel pumps? I believe this tractor is direct injected. Its a 2000 model so theres no more warranty left on it. This will be something left up to me to do.
Thanks for reply.

Me thinks if it were an easy fix the dealer would have already fixed it. According to JD parts catalogue a refurbished fuel injection pump cost $980. I would ask the dealer to fix it before I bought it.

I'm not a JD mechanic and know very little about them, but I'd bet the tractor is not direct injection. The injection pump (illustrated above) is quite expensive, I'd have the dealer fix that issue before even considering the tractor. Even if it cost more. My Fords have a lift pump also, inexpensive compared to the inj pump.

cfpinz

1982vett":1o09v8mt said:
Me thinks if it were an easy fix the dealer would have already fixed it. According to JD parts catalogue a refurbished fuel injection pump cost $980. I would ask the dealer to fix it before I bought it.

Is this for a 5310? I've looked all day at john deere.com and several part houses and could'nt find one for a 5310.
Getting the leak fixed was the first thing that came out my mouth when the salesman told me about it. They are'nt going to fix it. They going to sale it as is. I dont know how they can legally sell it with a fuel leak. I've prety much decided passing up on this one.

TheLazyM":swqrmqon said:
Getting the leak fixed was the first thing that came out my mouth when the salesman told me about it. They are'nt going to fix it. They going to sale it as is. I dont know how they can legally sell it with a fuel leak. I've prety much decided passing up on this one.

Persaonally I'ld pass on that particular dealer. If they aren;t willing to make things right before the sale, what's it going to be like afterwards?

dun":1wmhzn2f said:
TheLazyM":1wmhzn2f said:

Persaonally I'ld pass on that particular dealer. If they aren;t willing to make things right before the sale, what's it going to be like afterwards?

My thoughts exactly Dun. I have never heard of a dealer not being willing to fix a known problem with a tractor they are trying to sell unless it had a big sign on it to begin with saying "As Is". I would steer clear of this dealer if it were me.

Thats the thing that gets me. I myself cant understand why they wont fix it. So it must be a costly repair and the bought the tractor right and just want to pass it on. More than likely a saleman traded for it and did'nt even know it had a leak untell after. But I dont know about that.

If the dealer is not willing to repair the problem now what kind of service will he provide in the future. Recently someone on this forum said " The sales person makes the first sale, the dealers service makes the second. I like my tractor but I would never buy another from our local dealer. Be careful.

Guys I could'nt get enough info on the fuel pump issue to make me feel better about the tractor. Even if the stealership agreed to fix it I'm not certain that I could have know if they did or did'nt. So I decided to pass on this tractor and am settling for the 5300. It will go to work as soon as the salesman starts to get hungry and sees things the way I do.
I'm not a hard guy to do busness with. But once we agree on something I'm not going to crawfish and I wont let anybody crawfish w/ me. When we set out last friday and we where agreeing on the price he asked if I wanted to trade in anuthing or put money down. I told him no on both counts. Putting money down right now is alittle hard right now. He said no problem he can take care of it. So I forgot about it. Come monday he calls me telling me I've been approved but they want 10% down. I told him I could'nt come up w/ $1700. He asked for $1000 I still cant. So untell what ever he ate this weekend works it's way thru him it can stay right there.

Latest posts