John Deere 4040

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Looking at one , 2wd, Any advice ? Around 7000 hrs, doesn't smoke, haven't driven it yet. Any test I can give the trans, or clutch? What's the going price in your area/with loader?

With a sound guard cab or open? What model loader? Joy stick or does the loader use the tractors hydraulic hook ups? A 4040 is a newer version of a 4020. Non turbo 404 engine. Not much over 90hp. 16 speed quad range trans or 8 speed power shift.
My next door neighbor has a 4040 with a sound guard cab. They bought it new, and it's still mint. It used to do all there field work until they got a 4250 MFWD. They put a 148 jd loader on it in the winter to clear the drive way.
Easy to work on. Open station with a loader in good shape, I'd say $12,000 - $15,000. With a cab $20,000-$26,000.

It's a cab/jd loader that runs off the remote, not sure how inconvenient that would be for me.

Probably not a big to have the loader run off the remotes. All depends on how many implements you have that need to sets of remotes.
I have a White 2-105 w/ a Westendorf WL-42 loader that runs off the remotes. It spends most of the winter on the manure spreader. I just unplug the hoses that run the bucket cylinders to hook up the slop gate on the spreader.
You could always add a hydraulic multiplier if you need more remotes.
I've always thought a 4040 would make a great haying tractor.

Powershift or Quad?

If it's a quad run it in all ranges downhill, make sure it isn't popping out of gear. That's an expensive fix. Make sure the 2spd is nice and snappy and the hydraulics work well in all gears when hot. Just split a 4430 that had a leaking 2 speed, wouldn't know it until you ran the tractor for a couple of hours and got the oil hot. Hydraulics would quit and it would slip in low.

Loaders through the SVCs are a pain, but functional. Put some ball valves inline on the loader hoses, so you can close the valve and put the SVC in float before you unhook, can be a real bitch to get it hooked back up with pressure from the weight of the loader on them.

Won't be a powerhouse with the NA 404. Not sure about the 40 series, but the 30s with the 404 were a real booger to get going in the winter. Not a huge deal, but preparations have to be made, you ain't just gonna hop in and turn the key when it's really cold.

How much are they asking for it? Seems like they go for 12-20k depending on condition and equipment.

Testing the clutch, put it in a high gear and put your foot into it and release clutch quite quickly, it should stall the engine, otherwise the clutch is weak

Nice tractor

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/8/4/1844-kubota-m9540.html

SBMF 2015 said:
With a sound guard cab or open? What model loader? Joy stick or does the loader use the tractors hydraulic hook ups? A 4040 is a newer version of a 4020. Non turbo 404 engine. Not much over 90hp. 16 speed quad range trans or 8 speed power shift.
My next door neighbor has a 4040 with a sound guard cab. They bought it new, and it's still mint. It used to do all there field work until they got a 4250 MFWD. They put a 148 jd loader on it in the winter to clear the drive way.
Easy to work on. Open station with a loader in good shape, I'd say $12,000 - $15,000. With a cab $20,000-$26,000.

On the price, I have noticed that tractors are much more expensive up in the corn belt, so I would disregard that part. Reference: 7k hours for that tractor is midrange what I have seen/bought here having had a 4010, 20, 4230 sound guard cab, 100 PTO hp 404 engine, quad range, 2wd, 4k hours, full set of front and rear weights, complete cosmetic restoration (paint, all new rubber, cab interior completely redone, drive train didn't need it)....$17k and I jumped on it. Sitting adjacent to it on the lot was a turbo version of that engine in a 4430 similarly refurbished at 10k hours for $19k....I have seen at least one other 4430 at 10k hours with no wrenches on the engine proper. The 4230 was the better buy for me so I went with it although the 44XX tractors are popular here with larger operations than I have. Good friend has a well worn, 4430 and still gets the job done.

Texasmark said:
SBMF 2015 said:

On the price, I have noticed that tractors are much more expensive up in the corn belt, so I would disregard that part. Reference: 7k hours for that tractor is midrange what I have seen/bought here having had a 4010, 20, 4230 sound guard cab, 100 PTO hp 404 engine, quad range, 2wd, 4k hours, full set of front and rear weights, complete cosmetic restoration (paint, all new rubber, cab interior completely redone, drive train didn't need it)....$17k and I jumped on it. Sitting adjacent to it on the lot was a turbo version of that engine in a 4430 similarly refurbished at 10k hours for $19k....I have seen at least one other 4430 at 10k hours with no wrenches on the engine proper. The 4230 was the better buy for me so I went with it although the 44XX tractors are popular here with larger operations than I have. Good friend has a well worn, 4430 and still gets the job done.

Our 4440 finally got traded in three years ago. It had over 12,000 hrs and besides a push for breaking we had never been into the engine. Wish we still had it.
Yeah your right green tractors in the com belt bring stupid high money. But when the JD dealer is 4 miles from you what do you do? The Ford dealer that was 2 miles away closed in the 80's. There were a lot of blue tractors around when I was a kid. Still a few die hard IH guys around.

SBMF 2015 said:
Nice tractor. Looks like a big bucket. What is the break out force of the loader?
I don't know what that even means. I am kind of ignorant. I am not ashamed of my ignorance, just to be clear. I've learned lots, just keeping my mouth shut. And a lot more by opening it.

Nothing wrong with not knowing. Stupid questions are the one's not asked.
Break out force: is the max lifting capacity at a specific height.
For example; my Westendorf WL-42 max is 4,800lbs at 8'. The loader will fully lift to 10' , but it will not lift 4,800lbs to 10'.

SBMF 2015 said:
Nothing wrong with not knowing. Stupid questions are the one's not asked.
Break out force: is the max lifting capacity at a specific height.
For example; my Westendorf WL-42 max is 4,800lbs at 8'. The loader will fully lift to 10' , but it will not lift 4,800lbs to 10'.
I don't see it on tractor data, it gives 2977lbs at full height,in the power position. And 2866lbs to full height , in the height position. I assume the difference is pivot pin placement. Thanks for the xplanation, by the way.