John Deere 4020

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Found a 72 model with a loader on it for sale. Tractor has around 5k hrs on and from what im being told its a two onwer tractor mainly used for hay work and bushhogging. My dad grew up on one of these and says it was the best tractor he ever ran. Obviously i know when comparing it to newee tractor technologies have advanced tremendously but for just a tractor to use to move hay around and other odd and farm projects whats yalls thoughts?

Sd1030":1g70da2v said:
Found a 72 model with a loader on it for sale. Tractor has around 5k hrs on and from what im being told its a two onwer tractor mainly used for hay work and bushhogging. My dad grew up on one of these and says it was the best tractor he ever ran. Obviously i know when comparing it to newee tractor technologies have advanced tremendously but for just a tractor to use to move hay around and other odd and farm projects whats yalls thoughts?

Same as I told ya one of the best tractors and what to look for.

Thanks again for your input sky, got some input on what to look for.

Butch what would you consider a reasonable price?

They cost more now than they did new. That should be a good indicator of the quality, or it could just be an indicator that baby boomers have a sentimental attachment to them and money to burn. One way or the other, a guy could have made some money on a shed full of them.

Farm Fence Solutions":2ei3k6eb said:
They cost more now than they did new. That should be a good indicator of the quality, or it could just be an indicator that baby boomers have a sentimental attachment to them and money to burn. One way or the other, a guy could have made some money on a shed full of them.

I buy everyone I can get my hands on that i can clean up and make money off of they don't stay long the 3020's and 4020's are easy sellers especially to someone thats had one before

they've risen in value in just the last year by several thousand.

what are the things to look for on them?

I sold mine a few months back. I got seven grand on a very very rough tractor that was out of clutch.
And that's something you should check. How much clutch adjustment is left. Pretty major surgery on the 40s.
Otherwise as bullet proof as they get.

ddd75":h0murcek said:

Look at the axles alot have been cracked numerous times and welded over and over. The biggest thing I look for is how it shifts alot of the times they don't shift correctly and you have to try to find the gears i go through all gears to check it can be synchronizer or clutch issues. Thats the biggest things I look for. Typically alot of those with loaders i find the front axle is cracked up because they were carrying haybales or something heavy hitting bumps etc imo the weak part on that tractor is the hitch bracket on them and the axles

callmefence":3nvw98qp said:
I sold mine a few months back. I got seven grand on a very very rough tractor that was out of clutch.
And that's something you should check. How much clutch adjustment is left. Pretty major surgery on the 40s.
Otherwise as bullet proof as they get.

Breaking them in half is a real #$$%%^

skyhightree1":h63lrjfj said:
ddd75":h63lrjfj said:

Look at the axles alot have been cracked numerous times and welded over and over. The biggest thing I look for is how it shifts alot of the times they don't shift correctly and you have to try to find the gears i go through all gears to check it can be synchronizer or clutch issues. Thats the biggest things I look for. Typically alot of those with loaders i find the front axle is cracked up because they were carrying haybales or something heavy hitting bumps etc imo the weak part on that tractor is the hitch bracket on them and the axles

thanks sky

ddd75":8wd0nn42 said:
skyhightree1":8wd0nn42 said:
ddd75":8wd0nn42 said:

thanks sky

Your welcome

I had one for 20 yrs before I updated to get a cab tractor. As others have said easily one of the best tractors ever built but now they belong in the shed painted up as an antique in my opinion. If it`s a powershift be sure and check that the pto will stop after it`s been turned on if it doesn`t that's very expensive to fix. Also the load shaft seals leak sometimes. I would also run it for a while then feel the scv boxes if they feel hot then they`re bypassing on the inside and will need rebuilt. Keep in mind if it`s a syncro range you will loose hydraulics to the loader shortly after the clutch is pushed in which can be a pain depending in what your using it for If just mainly putting out bales you`ll be fine though. The price really varies a lot by condition and also by region. Mine was a powershift and the pto brake was out on it I traded it without the loader and still got $6500 5 yrs ago and was glad to see it gone before spending any major money on it if that helps.

One of the best all around tractors of all time. They are the perfect tractor for hay work in my opinion. The syncro transmission is more durable than the powershift. If you've never run a syncro you will hate it at first but once you figure it out you will like it. One of the smoothest riding tractors out there, they are just balanced really well. I would expect to pay $10,000 for a decent one and I feel like that would be a bargain for what you get

I have wanted a 3020 for a long time. As a kid i always wanted a 4020 and a 1086. Got the ten but have decided i really want a 3020. I don't think it will be much longer.

Just a update ended up buying the tractor, gave 11k for it. It has little over 5074 hrs on it and im pretty sure the hour meter is correct as it is actually working. Story is it what was the last 72 4020 sold in the county, guy bought it and used it to plow with one year before getting bigger tractors. Guy i bought it from bought it with intents of restoring it and has been using it mostly in the hayfield. It had been sitting awhile when he acquired it. Sheet metal is straight as an arrow, and all and all it seems to be a solid tractor. My plans are to use it mostly to load hay trailers and rake with. Not planning on working the old girl to hard :D

Sd1030":9tuxm8nf said:

On the 5k hours, if properly maintained, no big deal. Back in the early 90's I recall seeing one with over 10k hours, no wrenches on engine proper. Looked and ran like a top. Obvious it had been properly maintained.

I bought one, 1969 as I recall, with 5k and had to do an inframe. Reason wasn't due to wear as it wasn't knocking nor excessive blow-by. Reason was some idiot, somewhere along the line, may have been the assy line, put the wrong Orings on the "wet sleeves". One is Neoprene, black and goes on the bottom where the oil touches it. The other is orange, who knows what kind of rubber for the antifreeze to touch. They were reversed, degraded as a result and the weep holes along the side of the block were weeping. Was my first, had been looking for a long time. Had no idea what those little holes were along the side of the block that were oozing something....I learned.

littletom":qew9utwx said:
I have wanted a 3020 for a long time. As a kid i always wanted a 4020 and a 1086. Got the ten but have decided i really want a 3020. I don't think it will be much longer.

I thought I wanted one once to go with my 4010 and 20 but the 4 banger just didn't sing as pretty as the big sixes and I passed.

Latest posts