John Deere 350 Sickle Bar Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Horace Baker

Reaction score
Anybody have one? I just broke yet another sickle assembly, they just fatigue and break near the drive head. Does this happen to anyone else?

The sickles used to have a forged drive head and tang, now just plain welded steel. Are the new sickles just garbage or is it something else? I don't overrun the mower and nothing is binding.

Thanks in advance.

Dad had one..Not sure what you are saying here you broke the knife or the knife drive itself :?:

Are you using a J.D Knife or a jobber. Dad bought a knife for his at Tractor Supply Co( not sure if this is the same Tractor Supply Co as in the states.}It stood up pretty well and was better made than the original.

Are your guards in good shape. :?:

The mower itself is OK, but the knife bar breaks. The ones you get from John Deere are the same as the aftermarket ones nowadays, you can't get the old type for any money. The guards are fine.

I HAD A MOWER THAT THE KNIFE WOULD BREAK RIGHT AT THE END OF THE HEAD --TURNS OUT IT COULD FLEX IN THERE -SOMETHING WAS WORN OUT THERE ,I RUN A COUPLE BEADS OF WELD ON THE BOTTOM SIDE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM AGAIN

Try putting a new bushing in the bar and when you think the bolt is tight put a cheater on the socket and tighten.

HEY, All sickle users
In Grand Island NE there is thee best mower/sickle man that I have ever seen. I prided myself in setting and tuning a machine, and have since, felt like a fool just meeting John Webb at Sickle Service (800)-578-1480 or http://www.sickleservice.com. He ships, he is about half price of some dealerships, he builds all sickles in house with a cold-rolled strap (everyone else is hot-rolled), and he is one hell of a good fella. That guy is the best diagnostics man I have ever seen, he can trouble shoot anything! Anybody still mowing with a sickle machine should call him; it would be well worth your while. Oh, and tell him K. Hammond sent ya.

I spent my high school years trimming pastures with a sickle bar. Massey dyna balance.
Every night in my bedtime prayers I thank God for the disc mower.
The money for parts on your sickle bar will get you halfway to a used disc mower. Worth considering.

Angus Guy":2mnjt0c1 said:
Try putting a new bushing in the bar and when you think the bolt is tight put a cheater on the socket and tighten.
Sorry to be so long responding, that suggestion got me thinking. I had a new bar so it doesn't need a bushing, but it made me wonder about the "yoke" that goes in it. It didn't look worn, but the action did seem a little sloppy. So I replaced the yoke and it seems much tighter now. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

NE Buyer":2mnjt0c1 said:
In Grand Island NE there is thee best mower/sickle man that I have ever seen. I prided myself in setting and tuning a machine, and have since, felt like a fool just meeting John Webb at Sickle Service (800)-578-1480 or http://www.sickleservice.com.
That's where I got my present bar and the one that broke. :lol2:

I need a John Deere 350 mower housing part no. H62211 for a sickle bar mower.

I spent my high school years trimming pastures with a sickle bar. Massey dyna balance.
Every night in my bedtime prayers I thank God for the disc mower.
The money for parts on your sickle bar will get you halfway to a used disc mower. Worth considering.

agreed.

Latest posts