John Deere 30 series tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Been looking for another tractor. Kinda wanting one with a cab but I don't have to have a cab. Found this one. Know the owner well. He's had it two years. Bought it from an older gentleman who kept it under a barn. He just inherited a 4640 cab so he's gonna sell this one. Looks well kept. Hours unknown bc the dash has been replaced. 1978 4430. 125 hp. Good tires. Quad range transmission. Asking $13k. Think I can buy it for $12k. I've ran quite a few 40 series tractors and up. What's y'all's opinions on the 30 series? Were they pretty good iron? Pros? Cons?

Worst thing on the 30 series is some of the quad range tractors were hard to get in gear the 40 series were better. That's a good looking tractor but a little high on the price for one without a cab or loader in my opinion.

i've spent a few hours on a 4230 only thing i dont like is trying to get it in gear (especially facing up or down hill) 4450 is the same way

I have a 4430 with a cab and loader, it is bigger than what I need but it was my grandfathers.I have had it for 15 years and only had minor repairs, I also upgraded the starter and changed the batteries to 12 volts and hooked them in a parallel rather than the 6 in a series. There are a few differences through the model years. Front axles came with 6 or a heavier 8 bolt pattern, and the seat pan comes in a narrow (early) or wider variation. I know the one you are looking at is an open cab but if you get a 30 series with a cab put the blower vents from a 40 series on, makes a huge difference on hot days.

Buddy has a 4430 ps he bought from another friend of mine. Loves it had for about 3 years. First guy bought to put on a 496 disk was just not enough tractor. However works great for a hay tractor.

JMJ,

They are good tractors. We have a 4430 powershift. Shifting issue is more than likely tied to cab mounts squatting due to age. This happens with every transmission option to some extent. I haven't heard of issues with the Quad Range and most people prefer them over the other two. I like the powershift myself but most don't like the jerkiness of the 8spd. Here are a couple of major differences of the 30 to 40 series comparisson. 1. Engine - 30 series has the 404 40 series the 466. The 466 is known to lug better at low rpms but both are good engines. The 4440 will have a few more ponies over the 4430 2. Rear End - There were failures in the 30 series rear ends that were corrected with the late model 30 series and all 40 series. Most(early and mid) by this time have been corrected but I would assume there are still some that loom untouched. Truth be told my guess is some of this was due to the ease of turning the juice up on the pump and running 20%+ over stock setting.

Also the 4430 production ceased in 77'. Might check to see serial number as the later serial numbers have a slight increase of value over the earlier ones. Not much maybe $500-$1000.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 30 series at all as they are good tractors but like most how they have been maintained is key. Knowing the person that owns it and has ran it is worth a lot to me. Only thing I would caution about the 4430/4440 is they are thirsty tractors so if your are going to use it as your main tractor it could be a waste of fuel unless you have big implements. Ours has been turned up and it will pull anything(21' disc/3yd dirt pan) we have but it won't pull past the pump. :D

Let us know what you decide.

OldCrow":1sj94rtt said:
JMJ,

They are good tractors. We have a 4430 powershift. Shifting issue is more than likely tied to cab mounts squatting due to age. This happens with every transmission option to some extent. I haven't heard of issues with the Quad Range and most people prefer them over the other two. I like the powershift myself but most don't like the jerkiness of the 8spd. Here are a couple of major differences of the 30 to 40 series comparisson. 1. Engine - 30 series has the 404 40 series the 466. The 466 is known to lug better at low rpms but both are good engines. The 4440 will have a few more ponies over the 4430 2. Rear End - There were failures in the 30 series rear ends that were corrected with the late model 30 series and all 40 series. Most(early and mid) by this time have been corrected but I would assume there are still some that loom untouched. Truth be told my guess is some of this was due to the ease of turning the juice up on the pump and running 20%+ over stock setting.

Also the 4430 production ceased in 77'. Might check to see serial number as the later serial numbers have a slight increase of value over the earlier ones. Not much maybe $500-$1000.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 30 series at all as they are good tractors but like most how they have been maintained is key. Knowing the person that owns it and has ran it is worth a lot to me. Only thing I would caution about the 4430/4440 is they are thirsty tractors so if your are going to use it as your main tractor it could be a waste of fuel unless you have big implements. Ours has been turned up and it will pull anything(21' disc/3yd dirt pan) we have but it won't pull past the pump. :D

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks OldCrow. Lot of good info in that post :tiphat:

Latest posts