Jogeephus--Dave ever use one of these?

Help Support CattleToday:

Never seen that before but it looks easier. I've seen people use small diameter rope to do the same but I think I like this better. Those 330's still scare me no matter how I set them but that would be handier than the pliers. My pliers are modified and are about 2 foot longer than what you can buy but they are bulky and its a pain to carry them and all the other gear into the swamp so this , I think, is a better option and I think I can make one easy enough. I mostly use snares now and have been real successful with them.

That's my opinion too, just from watching..of course, every one of those 330 settings I saw were on dry smooth, hard ground too, and I don't have a lot of that outside my yard, and I can't know how much arm strength it would take to set it with one of those. Even with the safeties in place, the things still make me nervous as a Chihuahua.

As for the 330's I think the best advice I've been given in their use is to always carry a hacksaw with you or sew a hacksaw blade in your jacket.

First time I have ever seen that. I have used a rope and the pliers. I always used the safety not just the hooks on the springs but a safety on the jaws.
One time I was setting a 330 on my leg. Wet muddy boots and it slipped. Caught both hands at the wrists. It didn't slam on my but I was sure caught. Ended up standing on a logging road for 30 minute waiting for someone to drive by. I stood in the middle of the road, I was going to let him drive by me. I have a lot of respect for 330's.

I had a good scare a few months ago. I was standing in the water monkeying with the thing trying to make the perfect set and was handling it like there was no tomorrow. When I finally got it set perfectly I reached down to take the safeties off when I realized both of them had come loose and I had been handling a live trap. The realization was gut wrenching.

Jogeephus":2h5k5etw said:
I had a good scare a few months ago. I was standing in the water monkeying with the thing trying to make the perfect set and was handling it like there was no tomorrow. When I finally got it set perfectly I reached down to take the safeties off when I realized both of them had come loose and I had been handling a live trap. The realization was gut wrenching.

That is why I always put a jaw safety on the top jaw. Those hook safeties slip off from time to time.

When I first started using the connibears, I was pretty confident with them after I'd set a few. Went 6 months without needing them and now they scare the crap out of me.
That is why I always put a jaw safety on the top jaw.
How?

They make a safety. A little shorter than a pencil. Hook one one end and a spring loaded hook that slides from the other end. It has an eye on the spring end. I always put a piece of bright survey ribbon in that eye.

Thanks Dave. I'll look into that. My fartherst trap set is 2200' from the house, so it's not like I'd be way out in the wilderness if I got one on my hands or arms, but still, I'd like to avoid having that happen.
You and Jogeephus have been an immeasurable help with my beaver problem. I will never get rid of them completely or permanently because the river and my ponds are tied together during high water, and the river banks are federal land, but I can now keep them controlled enough to a manageable level that they aren't plugging anything up or boring into any dams.

This it?
05.jpg

greybeard":1p05j94d said:

That's what he's talking about and its saved my arm at least twice. For me, that safety is the last thing I take off. I check my springs, make sure the safeties are off them, look at the whole set and then declare it done by taking that one off.

greybeard":3u0pcxuz said:

Yes that is it. Put it on as soon as the trap is set. Put it on which ever jaw is going to be on top. That makes for safe easy removal. Always remember to take it with you when you leave. Forget it and it will safe a beaver's life. I hate to admit it but I have done that before. One of the reasons for the bright survey tape I put on mine.

Latest posts