Jog my memory please...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I seem to recall a post regarding an animal (bird?) that impales its kill on the barbs on barbed wire. I've been noticing a lot of insects stuck to the barbed wire. Even saw a small bat. Did they happen to fly into it or is there an animal that likes to show off its kill like a trophy. Seems I read that on the board or was I dreaming or something?

the Shrike does that.

(idk if they eat bats, maybe his GPS had a malfunction)

I don't know but I have seen grasshoppers impaled on the barbs from time to time. I just figured it was one of those days and it had a bad landing. :eek:

You still see shrikes, beefy? Never see them around here anymore. My grandpa used to call them French Mockingbirds. I used to see them stick lizards on barbed wire.

yeah i have them all over the place. fascinating birds.

( i dont see many brown thrashers anymore tho. seems like the mockingbirds have run em all out of town. never see blue jays anymore either.)

I've got a fenceline that the Shrikes frequent. I've seen snakes,grasshoppers,frogs,crawfish,and mice stuck on the barb wire. Also, have heard them called "Butcher birds".

Thanks for the info. Most of what's on the fence are big dung beetles and I didn't think they flew fast enough to impale themselves so I figured there was something more sinister in the air. The bat is rare but seems like there was another one impaled last year as well.

My dad tells a story about when he was young and he and his brothers were running tractors day and night, of a bird that had built a nest in the tractor somewhere and that when the tractor would stop the bird would have insects inpaled on the fence waiting to feed her babies with them.

Latest posts