Job offers

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I am retiring January 1st after 38 years on the job. I already work 2 part time jobs but since I decided to retire 8 days ago I have been offered 5 jobs. I tell each that I don't want a full time job and each one has said come work 2 days a week or whatever I want.
I'm 64 and have had 1 back surgery, 2 knee surgeries, 4 colon surgeries, a massive heart attack and currently awaiting tests on my stomach and possibly ankle surgery.
What makes the job market to where anyone would offer me a job much less everyone offering.

I am retiring January 1st after 38 years on the job. I already work 2 part time jobs but since I decided to retire 8 days ago I have been offered 5 jobs. I tell each that I don't want a full time job and each one has said come work 2 days a week or whatever I want.
I'm 64 and have had 1 back surgery, 2 knee surgeries, 4 colon surgeries, a massive heart attack and currently awaiting tests on my stomach and possibly ankle surgery.
What makes the job market to where anyone would offer me a job much less everyone offering.
You have a full time job and 2 part time jobs tells you right there. You are either hard up for money or just like to hustle, I wont speculate on what one of those is true.😉 You have talent, work ethic and the ever elusive common sense. You still get more out of an old guy with health problems than a dumb kid with a drug habit. Hell I would hire you for the education and the stories not to mention you might try to butter up the boss with a guided bear hunt! LOL

More work than workers (please don't start making this political). Unemployment is the lowest it has been in over 50 years. It is a whiplash effect from all of the shutdowns and stimulus money.

I tried to buy some cat food (barn cats) at one of the local dollar stores last week and the shelves were bare. I asked the manager why and she told me that they could not hire enough drivers to make the regular deliveries.

The last 2 people I hired are retired women. I'm so happy to have them two ladies working rather than the dumbo kids I've been getting. When I say kids I'm talking people under 30 too. Maybe it's just because I mind my own business and lead a very busy but pretty boring life but, I can't believe the problems young people cause themselves these days. If you want a job in Texas give me a holler. Lol

You have a full time job and 2 part time jobs tells you right there. You are either hard up for money or just like to hustle, I wont speculate on what one of those is true.😉 You have talent, work ethic and the ever elusive common sense. You still get more out of an old guy with health problems than a dumb kid with a drug habit. Hell I would hire you for the education and the stories not to mention you might try to butter up the boss with a guided bear hunt! LOL
Anytime you want to come on a bear hunt just load up. But dont bring any Fords. Lol

It is the work ethic and like both @SmokinM and @BFE said, common sense and don't tear things up. US "old people" also will do what needs doing even if it isn't in the "job description" and won't stand around doing nothing waiting to be told what to do next. It is the showing up when we say we will, it is not being on drugs, or smoking dope, not being drunk, and caring about someone else's equipment or property instead of the "oh well, it's not mine" attitude.
I have dairy farmers that have accommodated my limits with the knees and ankle over the past several years because they say that I am honest and a loyal worker and they can count on me to do what I say. Many send me to the house to do the computer work and never think twice about it... I would no more go through their stuff or steal from them than I would from my best friend. Many say that they don't want to go through 5 new milk testers to try to get one that will do the job and do it right. I may not work as fast as I did, but I learned how to work more efficiently so that I do not hold them up in the parlor and we still get done in a timely manner.
They worked with me when I had the ankle done and was in a boot and non-weight bearing on crutches.... carry the milk meters in and out of the parlor and set them up. They have done the same as the knees got to the almost intolerable pain levels. Now that the knees are done, I hope to be able to go back and test a few more years. The good thing for me is that with the farms selling out over the years it is no longer full time so I am not as pushed to work so many farms, as I was. I want to do a little less....and enjoy my own stuff a little more.
But I had a farmer said that if I quit testing, did I want to come and work part-time on the farm; even just during hay season raking hay and stuff....
Be proud of what your work ethic has shown you to be a good reliable employee.... yeah, accommodating a few health problems or limitations is small stuff nowadays when so many are too da#@ lazy to get out of bed.....

One thing @kenny thomas .... if you have any thoughts on ankle surgery, go see a Dr. Samuel Adams at Duke Orthopedics, Raleigh NC. He did my ankle and I cannot say enough good about him. He is very modern, a young nice guy... very gifted. He did one of those 3-D printer things to reconstruct an ankle for a lady who was badly injured in an accident. He told me that fusing my ankle was a poor choice.... which was what I was told to do by 5 different doctors here. I had a very good outcome and very good use of the ankle overall. He also does stem cell work which is what I was hoping we could do but ankle was too bad and he said it would just be a waste of money... he would try it but I asked for him to be straight with me and he was.
I saw a total of 7 different doctors and went to 3 different clinics for consultation visits before I decided on him and I am so glad that I did. The ankle is not perfect but it is pretty much pain free and very very workable.

That unemployment number is useless the way it is calculated. It is "just a political number".
No kidding. Poke your head in a department store in the middle of the day and see how crowded it is with working age adults, and I use the last term loosely. Or count the cars at your local brewery/winery during the middle of the day on any random Tuesday. I doubt those are all shift workers, and highly doubt they have enough vacation to be taking the time off.

Congrats, Kenny!

Because your work history tell them you will show up and do the job!

KT, you've had 5 job offers because the people know you and that you'll do what you say you will do, you show up for work every day and are on time. Those are the big 3 for me. My only question is why haven't you gotten more job offers?

Having just one job was a running joke skit thru out an early 90s tv show called In Living Color.

Ya lazy lima bean...

"you lazy rabbit killer you.."

KT, you've had 5 job offers because the people know you and that you'll do what you say you will do, you show up for work every day and are on time. Those are the big 3 for me. My only question is why haven't you gotten more job offers?
I only told 5 people before I decided to keep quiet for a while.

I will have to walk then!
Well you can drive to the end of the pavement and ride with me afterwards. A member from GA came up a couple years ago and done that with his Ford. After 2 days he said he would never buy a truck from a bear hunter. Haha
I didn't go yesterday but they treed 1 small bear and the dogs ran 1 female with 2 cubs and another female with 1 cub. As usual it took a while to catch the dogs off of them.

I know we all like to talk about lack of work ethic from many people, but I was pleasantly surprised at Wal-mart yesterday. They had a big display of 24-packs of canned Dr Pepper just inside the entrance. I grabbed one, but evidently didn't grab it well enough. I dropped it, and somehow the box tore on each end. Luckily none of the cans ruptured. I dropped the torn box in my cart and started picking up the cans, intending to just throw the loose cans in my cart and buy the case that way, since it was my fault that I had dropped it.

Before I had picked up more than one or two cans I was surrounded by three young workers who has seen what happened. They started picking up the cans, and they all insisted I should get a new case instead of taking the loose cans. I couldn't have asked for better service, and I'd be surprised if any of them were over 20 years old.

Latest posts