Job Market

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I'm wondering what the job market, and cost of living is like in everyone's area?

In NE Texas, I think most folks that want a job have one. Employees are very hard to find. The oil field is booming and there are lots of jobs in the oil field. Cost of living keeps going up and land prices keep escalating. When you've lived through the oil and gas bust and the high interest rate cycle a few times, it makes you wonder when the wreck is going to happen.

skyline":2r2z2v3m said:
In NE Texas, I think most folks that want a job have one. Employees are very hard to find. The oil field is booming and there are lots of jobs in the oil field. Cost of living keeps going up and land prices keep escalating. When you've lived through the oil and gas bust and the high interest rate cycle a few times, it makes you wonder when the wreck is going to happen.
this sounds like NW Arkansas - only it is the Walmart boom
although the wreck has already started
the contractors have built zillions of houses and now lots of them are sitting empty and the contractors are going bust

Anyone who wants to work can make a really good salary right now around here. The oilfield boom has the welders covered up. I talked to a welder last week that earned well over a quarter million last year. They have all raised their prices and still can't get any time off. Truck drivers are on demand something fierce. Big construction has projects going in everywhere. Good employers are having a hard time retaining employees. The economy has never been better in my life time. Poor old rock and cedar break farmers are getting rich off of gas royalties. The Barnett Shale is hot.

Edit: One more thing, I don't hire out myself and my Caterpillar and people are begging me to do so because all the big equipment around here is booked solid.

Decent jobs aren't hard to find around here, especially in construction and computer "high tech" areas. Good manufacturing jobs close by, too. Mostly due to the Univ. of Illinois being right here. I would assume it would be the same story near any major university town, as a major university has a HUGE influence on an area, IMO.

Cost of living in the county I live in was right at the national median last year so could be better, could be worse. Certainly nothing near as high as living on the east or west coast, from what I understand. No complaints.

We run short handed every night. And it's not rocket science.
The cost of living would be considered average.

Kinda the same around here... Oil and gas is going strong.. drillers.. welders have great jobs.. and any heavy equipment operators are in need. The housing market is still ok.. but see a bunch of homes up for sale...
High tech jobs are still doing ok... but way too many jobs that only pay 8-12 an hour... not good for young people starting out.

Our town is about 3500. A Wall Mart Super Center just opened in March. Lots of $8 hr jobs and not enough workers. As far as higher paying, we have a hospital, school, and county seat. Lots of seasonal employment. There's work for anyone who wants it.

Primary employers here were factories for years, but now most are downsizing and sending jobs overseas. Used to be the folks working for the biggest companies had the best benefits, retirement, job security, etc... Now it seems those are the most uncertain jobs. I believe the future of this country lies in small business. Specifically public service, people in this country are becoming too lazy/complacent to take care of themselves anymore. A man/woman who is willing to do physical labor and take on the responsibility of business ownership has unlimited potential.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2b7f6s51 said:
Primary employers here were factories for years, but now most are downsizing and sending jobs overseas. Used to be the folks working for the biggest companies had the best benefits, retirement, job security, etc... Now it seems those are the most uncertain jobs. I believe the future of this country lies in small business. Specifically public service, people in this country are becoming too lazy/complacent to take care of themselves anymore. A man/woman who is willing to do physical labor and take on the responsibility of business ownership has unlimited potential.

cfpinz

Good points we are rapidly becoming a country that produces nothing. We every get in a war like WWII again we are going to be in trouble.

Up here good jobs for the medical folks (wife & daughter) builders are on a steady rise (brothers in law) and God knows the sales folks are everywhere....
As long as the farm holds it's own and brings in a few dollars and I keep up on my housework then I won't have to get a town job. DMc

I think you hit the nail on the head... small business in the service industry is where its at. That and anything having to do with food... (which is what all of us are in)

Locally there are several boat manufacturers and electrical equipment manufacturers. But anything over minimum wage is considered a decent job cause that's pretty much the going rate.

dun

backhoeboogie":su1gv2ie said:
Anyone who wants to work can make a really good salary right now around here. The oilfield boom has the welders covered up. I talked to a welder last week that earned well over a quarter million last year. They have all raised their prices and still can't get any time off. Truck drivers are on demand something fierce. Big construction has projects going in everywhere. Good employers are having a hard time retaining employees. The economy has never been better in my life time. Poor old rock and cedar break farmers are getting rich off of gas royalties. The Barnett Shale is hot.

Edit: One more thing, I don't hire out myself and my Caterpillar and people are begging me to do so because all the big equipment around here is booked solid.

Backhoe - The rise is natural gas prices and the decrease in spacing to 40 acres on Cotton Valley wells is driving our boom. Our company used to run 2 survey crews. Now we've got 7 survey crews staking new well locations and pipeline routes everyday and we're turning drilling and pipeline companies away almost everyday. It's unbelievable. If we could hire 3 more survey party chiefs we would do it. I may be a pessimist (or a realist) when it comes to the economy, but this bubbles gonna break at some point.

Here in rural NY $10 to $12 an hour is considered a good job, most make min. wage or a little more. The taxes, gas and electricity, and housing cost are some of the highest in the country. Transportation is also a biggie. With the long hard winters and high gasoline prices it hard to keep a auto on the road. Is it any wonder that the population continues to drop in NY? :shock:

Anyone who wants to work can here. About the only minimum wage jobs are the fast food places. High tech and construction are booming. I know several of kids (mid 20's) who have gone into construction business working for themselves making over six figure incomes. No real investment in equipment, just hard workers.
Cost of living is probably a little high. Certainly up in Seattle or down in Portland. Gas is back over $3.00 again. Rent on a three bedroom house starts at $1,000 a month and up. Apartments run over $600 a month.

I happen to think the economy is too hot also. How long it will last is the question. During the internet boom Greenspan kept saying a correction was coming. The thing was it took 3 or 4 years before it happened. I think this economy could go on for a while longer before we see a recession. The fact that we see it trucking along with gasoline and natural gas so high tells me that the economy is not that fragile right now. On the other hand any terrorist attack on our soil could send it in the crapper.

On a different note my company has about 20 brand new trucks that have been sitting in the yard for 6 or 8 months now. My coworkers and I were discussing it this morning and were wondering if the company just couldn't find anybody to hire to put in them.

Walt

Job market here? I have no clue..
Cost of living: Incredibly reasonable in comparison to other places I have lived: Dallas, Austin, and Cleveland.

Latest posts