jo- What do you think about this one ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Can't see the guts or how it works. Is it a reverse flow or is it just a fire box on one side of the tank. If its just a fire box on one side of the tank I don't think I'd want it because it would be too hard to regulate the heat.

looks like just a firebox on one side. I am looking at different ones just to see them. I don't like his design on that trailer.

Jogeephus":2vjh24b9 said:
Can't see the guts or how it works. Is it a reverse flow or is it just a fire box on one side of the tank. If its just a fire box on one side of the tank I don't think I'd want it because it would be too hard to regulate the heat.
Jogee,
Can you explain reverse flow?

Pic would be nice too...

Thanks

HD, what TB posted is a reverse flow and a great illustration of how to build one. Basically, your tank is divided by a plate and the heat and the smoke from the firebox has to pass under the plate then it comes up through the plate and goes back over the meat and out the chimney. The plate serves as a heat sink and a fireguard and keeps the temp steady and prevents any flareups in the cooking chamber. Its basically an idiot proof way to smoke meat. All you gotta do is remember to add a few sticks of wood to the box every hour and the chamber will stay at a steady temp based on how you set your air intakes in the box. Its the easiest and best way to smoke meats.

Jo,
I did not look at what TB posted. That was an excellent post on a cooker. I want it,, bad..

Thanks

Jogeephus":n4m3wew8 said:
HD, what TB posted is a reverse flow and a great illustration of how to build one. Basically, your tank is divided by a plate and the heat and the smoke from the firebox has to pass under the plate then it comes up through the plate and goes back over the meat and out the chimney. The plate serves as a heat sink and a fireguard and keeps the temp steady and prevents any flareups in the cooking chamber. Its basically an idiot proof way to smoke meat. All you gotta do is remember to add a few sticks of wood to the box every hour and the chamber will stay at a steady temp based on how you set your air intakes in the box. Its the easiest and best way to smoke meats.
What is the purpose for the angle iron down the center of the plate?
To allow for using 2 narrower pieces rather than trying to get one wide long piece of 3/8 plate in there during assy?

5).JPG

You got me on this unless he is using the angle iron so he can slope his plate so he can add a drain for the drippings. I wouldn't do it that way myself but I don't know why he's doing it that way.

I can't see the picture very well but I looked at it again and if the angle iron is turned down to form a trough its surely the gutter to catch the grease. It should have a notch in it somewhere with a two inch pipe welded to that for an outlet. That's how mine is set up anyhow but I used a press to bend the center for the gutter. Without a press the angle iron makes a lot of sense and I would do the same. If you build one you definitely want a good sized pipe for a drain because the grease goms things up quick.

How would a propane heat source work with that kind of design, where soaked wood was used for smoke but not the heat source?

I was thinking that as far as consistency, it might really do the trick. What's the down side?

I've seen some people do something along those lines and it works but the cost of the propane is the downside. I've got a friend who built a rotisserie with wood smoke and propane but you best have two tanks at the ready because it burns it up. Wood is free.

Jogeephus":2c7962ij said:
I've seen some people do something along those lines and it works but the cost of the propane is the downside. I've got a friend who built a rotisserie with wood smoke and propane but you best have two tanks at the ready because it burns it up. Wood is free.

That sure makes sense, hadn't thought out the amount of fuel for the duration of time it would take. I was thinking it could be set and wouldn't have to be babysat as much.

Commercialfarmer":209et67x said:
Jogeephus":209et67x said:

That sure makes sense, hadn't thought out the amount of fuel for the duration of time it would take. I was thinking it could be set and wouldn't have to be babysat as much.

The beauty of a reverse flow is you don't have to babysit. With either of mine all I have to do is remember to toss two or three sticks of wood in box every hour or so. Other than that, you don't mess with anything and just go about your business and resist the temptation to open the lid. If you open the lid it sets you back 15 minutes they claim. Can't nothing go wrong inside but the temptation to open is strong when it smells so wonderful.

Latest posts