Jo a 150 yard shot here

Help Support CattleToday:

That looks similar to some of the places I hunt in the swamp. Most of the shots are 150 yards or less but I cut out one shooting lane about 40 foot wide and goes straight in the swamp for 400 yards. Some fine bucks have come from this stand but like you say you have to be on your toes and you need to be quick because though 40 foots seems wide at 400 yards forty feet ain't much. I try to reserve this area for shooting hogs and trophy deer.

Here is a field I have a lot of fun in harvesting doe and offers the most challenging shots. If you look at about 1 oclock you can see a mushroom topped tree. This tree is a 1000 yards from where I'm standing and then there is 50 yards of field past this tree before it hits another treeline. This is the longest possible shot but there are plenty of shots from 200-800 yards and deer frequent this area pretty regularly.

If you was any good Jo you would be shooting squirrels outta that tree with an open sighted .22 from there. Keep practicing you will get better.

SmokinM":2j568ct9 said:
If you was any good Jo you would be shooting squirrels outta that tree with an open sighted .22 from there. Keep practicing you will get better.

True, never claimed to be any good, only claimed it was fun. More practice is definitely needed. Baby steps for now. :lol:

Jogeephus":1qmtyr6r said:
SmokinM":1qmtyr6r said:

True, never claimed to be any good, only claimed it was fun. More practice is definitely needed. Baby steps for now. :lol:

Bullcrap. You can shoot. You sent me the proof.

True Grit Farms":jxezyzsj said:
I know your gig, take a nap till your hunting partner wakes you up. Does Eli still go hunting with you?

:lol: :lol: He hasn't this year but he's been wanting to go. He may be deaf as a post but he sure has a nose for deer. And biscuits.

Jogeephus":17ongm7j said:
That looks similar to some of the places I hunt in the swamp. Most of the shots are 150 yards or less but I cut out one shooting lane about 40 foot wide and goes straight in the swamp for 400 yards. Some fine bucks have come from this stand but like you say you have to be on your toes and you need to be quick because though 40 foots seems wide at 400 yards forty feet ain't much. I try to reserve this area for shooting hogs and trophy deer.

Here is a field I have a lot of fun in harvesting doe and offers the most challenging shots. If you look at about 1 oclock you can see a mushroom topped tree. This tree is a 1000 yards from where I'm standing and then there is 50 yards of field past this tree before it hits another treeline. This is the longest possible shot but there are plenty of shots from 200-800 yards and deer frequent this area pretty regularly.

WHAT TREE???? :lol2: :lol: I couldn't see a 747 from that distance.

No doubt it is fun Jo, I would take all of that fun I could get. What's the farthest you have been successful at?

SmokinM":2qhafkx1 said:
No doubt it is fun Jo, I would take all of that fun I could get. What's the farthest you have been successful at?

It is a lot of fun. I've killed them at various distances all over this field but but my best to date was taken a few yards past the mushroom-topped tree in the photo which would be a hair over a thousand yards. This was a chest shot but my current goal is a head shot at this distance. Probably won't pull this off but I'll have fun trying. What's neat is it takes nearly four seconds from shooting till you hear the bullet strike the deer. That's cool business to me.

Here is an old picture of my daughter with her three shot group on a target I have mounted on the mushroom-topped tree that marks the 1000 yard mark in the field. There are 45 more yards of open land past this marker before the thick bedding area so the max in this field is 1045 yards. She's a better shot now but she still doesn't feel comfortable shooting deer past 400 yards but she still gets a big smile on her face when we shoot targets at distance.

I have targets set up at different areas in the field so you can go out and stop at different locations and shoot these targets. It gives a more real-world experience than simply shooting from a bench and by moving around you get different wind conditions and stuff. Beats he77 out of playing golf.

If I could get a deer to parade around with a metal target I might try a 600+ yd shot. Getting old has really had an effect on my ability to hold the X steady, but my golf game is as good as ever.
Jogeephus, it looks like you put your stamp on her in more ways than one.

The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.

dun":zq50zdxj said:
The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.

I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.

True Grit Farms":1pxqnu3t said:
If I could get a deer to parade around with a metal target I might try a 600+ yd shot. Getting old has really had an effect on my ability to hold the X steady, but my golf game is as good as ever.
Jogeephus, it looks like you put your stamp on her in more ways than one.
Mine too Grit......it never was worth a shyt. :lol: :lol2:

Latest posts