Jo a 150 yard shot here

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1kv81rw2 said:
dun":1kv81rw2 said:
The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.

I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.
I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.

dun":39gqwm5c said:
Jogeephus":39gqwm5c said:
dun":39gqwm5c said:
The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.

I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.
I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.

Dun my old Model 94 was like that thing would drive tacks, had a 26" barrel 1 in 10 twist. If you could see it here in East Texas it was in range.
Gave it to my youngest son few years back.

dun":1mt45xb0 said:

I think in basketball they refer this to going into the zone. Don't know what they call it in shooting but I call it going into kill mode.

There is an old story here about a fella who was a crack shot on quail. He never missed and would like to make bets and he always won till one day a fella bested him after whispering something to him and leading him to miss nearly every bird he shot at. Later some people asked the guy who bested him what he said to him and the guy just said, "I asked him if he shot with both eyes open or one closed".

True or not, I always liked this tale because it perfectly describes what you are referring to.

Jogeephus":zl19br7t said:
dun":zl19br7t said:

I think in basketball they refer this to going into the zone. Don't know what they call it in shooting but I call it going into kill mode.

There is an old story here about a fella who was a crack shot on quail. He never missed and would like to make bets and he always won till one day a fella bested him after whispering something to him and leading him to miss nearly every bird he shot at. Later some people asked the guy who bested him what he said to him and the guy just said, "I asked him if he shot with both eyes open or one closed".

True or not, I always liked this tale because it perfectly describes what you are referring to.
Screwing with ones head can sometimes have that affect
There also the old saw of "Beware of the man with only one gun"

That's great Jo, and good for you teaching that girl to shoot like that. It will keep the boys honest. I always thought I would like to shoot 1,000 yard match but don't have that kind of time and money.

Sight picture, breathing and trigger pull have to be reflex to shoot well. The man with one gun who carries it like it is a part of him, watch out.

SmokinM":323yxinb said:
That's great Jo, and good for you teaching that girl to shoot like that. It will keep the boys honest. I always thought I would like to shoot 1,000 yard match but don't have that kind of time and money.

Sight picture, breathing and trigger pull have to be reflex to shoot well. The man with one gun who carrier it like it is a part of him, watch out.
That's a old wives tale. A long range scope isn't worth a hoot at 30 yds and a 26+ inch barrel stinks in a tree stand.

Latest posts