JMJ Farms CS Boomer 29f

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A late reply to your question on my thoughts on 29f. My own thoughts, not an industry opinion, I feel 29f was one of the few quality influencial polled Hereford Bulls that helped bring polled Herefords back on track. In the years prior breeders had done a great job of screwing up the breed. They went from a fine quality animal in the 50's and 60's, the short stocky little square blocks on hooves (angus were the same type then) to tall lanky hard to sell and promote animals. Bulls like 29f and 20x did a lot to bring the breed back, imo. I have a natural respect for old blood and I hesitate to call them foundation Bulls but they were Bulls that consistently produced and held up. A lot of Bulls in the past years didn't hold up, online, Moler, About Time.

Just an attempt to answer your inquiry and again it's only my opinion. I have also had horned Herefords out of two polled Herefords. The AHA will easily change his registration to state your bull is horned. at the time I was messing with registered Herefords they made a few changes for me at no cost. Finally, here a son of 29f I really like.

http://www.njwherefords.com/njw-herd-si ... il/id/6032

Alan":hxjm1bdn said:
A late reply to your question on my thoughts on 29f. My own thoughts, not an industry opinion, I feel 29f was one of the few quality influencial polled Hereford Bulls that helped bring polled Herefords back on track. In the years prior breeders had done a great job of screwing up the breed. They went from a fine quality animal in the 50's and 60's, the short stocky little square blocks on hooves (angus were the same type then) to tall lanky hard to sell and promote animals. Bulls like 29f and 20x did a lot to bring the breed back, imo. I have a natural respect for old blood and I hesitate to call them foundation Bulls but they were Bulls that consistently produced and held up. A lot of Bulls in the past years didn't hold up, online, Moler, About Time.

Just an attempt to answer your inquiry and again it's only my opinion. I have also had horned Herefords out of two polled Herefords. The AHA will easily change his registration to state your bull is horned. at the time I was messing with registered Herefords they made a few changes for me at no cost. Finally, here a son of 29f I really like.

http://www.njwherefords.com/njw-herd-si ... il/id/6032

He is too inconsistent of a breeder for me. One of his better sons About Time is also. Many of his progeny need more frame size. I was one that was one of the top sellers in a prominent breeders sale and at 4 years of age he was barely a frame 4.0. Can't sell that type around here and expect top dollar.

Just so there is no confusion you are talking about Durango, not 29f. Durango was the About Time sire. I never used Durango and did not research far enough to see his frame size, nor could I find it online. But look at the bull and it says my founders of him. Not to hijack my own thread, I know you liked About Time and I don't blame most Bulls for there short life as a stud, I blame the ownership...... It may simply come down to the insurance payout rubbing on the expense of keeping a stud..... Too many good young Hereford bulls go belly up to soon be it in the tank or literally...... It may be legit..... But.....

Edit to add: I was planning on using Moler, but his straw price suddenly jumped from $50 per straw to $500 per straw, so I called him. He was up front and told me his semen was no longer viable so they were left with the straws they had in storage, I appreciated that.

You know Alan, for a Ducks fan, you're alright :deadhorse: I really appreciate the time you took to answer that question. I was unfamiliar with 29f. I will have to research him some. Durango is a hoss of a bull! I'd really like to have a good horned Hereford bull with some great genetics to cross with brangus cows and make replacements. I'm venturing into AI because I will never be able to afford to own a super bull. I'm probably gonna pass on the bull I posted for this very reason. But I sincerely appreciate your input and your time :tiphat:

JMJ Farms":5so7x1si said:
You know Alan, for a Ducks fan, you're alright :deadhorse: I really appreciate the time you took to answer that question. I was unfamiliar with 29f. I will have to research him some. Durango is a hoss of a bull! I'd really like to have a good horned Hereford bull with some great genetics to cross with brangus cows and make replacements. I'm venturing into AI because I will never be able to afford to own a super bull. I'm probably gonna pass on the bull I posted for this very reason. But I sincerely appreciate your input and your time :tiphat:

JMJ, the controversy with 29F was that he was not truly polled, he had scurs. SPH used him on Herefords and had problems with higher birth weights. I doubt that would be a problem if he was used on Brangus.

If I remember correctly Dun used Durango. I have seen Durango sons and they were easily frame 6-7. We used a frame 5.5 son of Perfect Timing, calves gained as well as Char sired calves. His heifers all cycled before 12 months, too.

Be careful taking advice about Hereford from people who have never, ever posted a photo on CT. There is a huge difference between seeing something at an online sale and raising a calf crop from a bull.

JWBrahman":10rjz18r said:
Be careful taking advice about Hereford from people who have never, ever posted a photo on CT. There is a huge difference between seeing something at an online sale and raising a calf crop from a bull.

I'm going to assume your talking about me.

Not at all, Alan.

Picking up where the bull thread left off. Since I have already yelled at elk on this board I was trying to keep it general.

Lol

I've seen your photo of freezer beef.

JWBrahman":1pgiop21 said:
Not at all, Alan.

Picking up where the bull thread left off. Since I have already yelled at elk on this board I was trying to keep it general.

Lol

I've seen your photo of freezer beef.

:lol: , thank as you know it's easy to jump to conclusions on CT, I was one of two who had given advice on the this thread so I made a bad assumption.

I never used 29f or saw him but I was just talking to someone else about AIing. One thing that happens is the bull has to work in your herd/lines and/or your environment. A bull that works well will someone may not work for someone else. For example I got some very nice calves out of Sand Hill Farms Bulls, two of his Bulls that did very well for me were Rib Eye and Progress. Easy keepers, good growth and a big improvement on udders and over all phenotype. But plenty of folks don't care for those bull because they didn't work with their herd or environment. Were as Bulls like Harland and 3027 calves never really excited me, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the horns, lol.

JWBrahman":1a8523f2 said:
JMJ Farms":1a8523f2 said:

JMJ, the controversy with 29F was that he was not truly polled, he had scurs. SPH used him on Herefords and had problems with higher birth weights. I doubt that would be a problem if he was used on Brangus.

If I remember correctly Dun used Durango. I have seen Durango sons and they were easily frame 6-7. We used a frame 5.5 son of Perfect Timing, calves gained as well as Char sired calves. His heifers all cycled before 12 months, too.

I usually don't base opinions on what I see in pics or in online videos. I have seen a few Durango sons in person, several daughters and many grandkids and great grandkids. Have visited with many breeders who have used him and About Time. I have seen several About Time progeny I like and felt he was more consistent than Durango. But after talking to some breeders recently who have used him a fair amount and also seeing some more lately I have decided he may not be as consistent as I thought. I know the cows any bull is crossed with has an major impact. As one breeder stated lately that he felt that overal the polled sires had an inconsistency issue. If I could find the right About Time progeny at a commercial price I would purchase one. It was just my opinion from what I have seen and also been told. I've seen some very good Durango progeny also but have seen just as many that wouldn't work in my environment. Again we are each entitled to our opinions and one persons opinion don 't make anothers wrong.

There are several posters on this forum who comment who I've never seen post a picture. Didn't know that was a requirement.

Besides, the BW "problem" that some folks express, which I personally don't consider to be a problem with 29F, the only negative that I ever heard about the bull was that his dam's udder was "a mess"! That came from folks that actually saw her, and not just rumors. At this point that is not as important as his progeny results - and it does look like 29F's daughters don't have the greatest udders, based on his EPDs in that department - which have pretty high accuracy levels. I know that I saw several young daughters in sales that had udders/teats that looked like they would eventually cause problems.

That's what makes this discussion interesting, George. There are enough progeny out there, especially "Boomer" progeny, to put the gossip to rest. They make one heck of a Braford and terminal baldies. The udders are functional and last longer than you would think but they are not pretty like a Maine Angus.

But polled have no arse, they aren't thrifty, no meat on the back, blah blah blah.

The short tail... My $0.02 is they snuck Angus in the woodpile with About Time.

Latest posts