Jindra Acclaim or 3F Epic 4631?

Help Support CattleToday:

jscunn":2wzgpxv0 said:
Monumental is NHF, I didnt know they tested all sons/daughters of Epic with DNA on file. Results were released today..

Great news!
There's the replacement for Epic then.
He will be super Hot now.
Last night Monumental was NHP, but as you say
He's NHF now

So if we calve any PB ET calves and they come back NHF, would that imply that they then couldn't genetically carry it at all? Since they wouldn't be a "carrier"? Or would we be creating problems going forward with offspring possibly being carriers?

This is all a learning curve.

Right on cue!

Calves by Epic have a 50/50 chance of being NHC.Anything that tests NHF can't pass it on

NEFarmwife":3px4y44m said:
So if we calve any PB ET calves and they come back NHF, would that imply that they then couldn't genetically carry it at all? Since they wouldn't be a "carrier"? Or would we be creating problems going forward with offspring possibly being carriers?

Once tested NHF you are good to go, no problems going forward.

Ken

wbvs58":1ybz0l0v said:
NEFarmwife":1ybz0l0v said:

Once tested NHF you are good to go, no problems going forward.

Ken

That is good to know. I saw that because we beat the embryo removal date requirements, we'd still be able to register as long as NHF.

I would not jump on the "Monumental" bandwagon yet. He is tested for NH, but they did not bother to spend a few more dollars to test him for AM,CA,OS,DD or any of the other easily testable defects. I imagine AAA is still doing more testing to find where the NH came from in his sire, Epic. It is entirely possible they will identify an error in his pedigree and he may end up being a potential carrier of other defects. That would then make Monumental a potential carrier. I can't believe Origen did not learn anything from their experience with Epic. I will never buy any semen from a company that fails to make a small investment in testing in order to protect their customers.

Katpau":247k67yx said:
I would not jump on the "Monumental" bandwagon yet. He is tested for NH, but they did not bother to spend a few more dollars to test him for AM,CA,OS,DD or any of the other easily testable defects. I imagine AAA is still doing more testing to find where the NH came from in his sire, Epic. It is entirely possible they will identify an error in his pedigree and he may end up being a potential carrier of other defects. That would then make Monumental a potential carrier. I can't believe Origen did not learn anything from their experience with Epic. I will never buy any semen from a company that fails to make a small investment in testing in order to protect their customers.

Good point, I believe that there has to be a mistake somewhere in his Pedigree.

NEFarmwife":2sh9xlkk said:

That is correct. They don't have the defective gene, so they cannot pass it on. In fact, you are safer using a bull tested as NHF with NHC carriers up close in his pedigree, than you are with an untested animal whose pedigree would appear to not contain any risks. Mistakes are made, and it is estimated that many pedigrees are inaccurate, for many different reasons.

Latest posts