JHH bull pic

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
herefordbullpic005.jpg

3 years old L1 domino

Not a great hereford bull but does ok.couldnt resist taking pic of him this morning.Needs more width in hind end I know! Back to work here in shop.Will try to post other pics of calves out of him later today if thats ok?

i like that hereford bull.he is looks long ribbed.i noticed that about his horns as well.looks like 1 is going faster or turned down more.could be wider in the rump as well.scott

JHH":xn1p0ors said:
herefordbullpic005.jpg

3 years old L1 domino

OK - forget the horns - they may have been mis-used by a previous owner. With time and effort they could be fixed by someone in the know - that person from what you have told me i other posts and from what I have seen - is not you. Not a big deal for the present.

JHH - this bull could stand a few more pounds but from your other threads you have stated you are starting out and attempting to expand your herd.

I in fact like him.

Use this guy for one more year and save your money for the moment. I have a feeling you might not be unhappy with what you get from this guy. If you are unhappy - ship the lot.

I figure that everyone wants the perfect bull. They are rarely available and when they are they cost big bucks. He will do for one more season - and maybe more if he develops a bit more. And develop he might.

Use this time and any extra money you might squirrel away to do some study and research. As a side not, I put an absoultely stellar Black Angus bull in with our herd two years ago. We have often done this with great success. This guy actually gave us a very disappointing calf crop - one of the worst we have ever raised.

So, sometimes looks and epd's do not pan out - and surprizingly - sometimes the bull you least want to use is the "silver bullet".

The bull I am using now was put on about 25 cows at the age of 14 months due to reasons we do not need to get into at present. He was not exactly what we wanted here, but we were so surprized by his calves that he is out with the main herd this summer - if he performs in a similar manner he will remain here one more year before he goes down the road.

So relax and go with what you have for the present.

Best of luck with you program,

Bez'

Get some more condition on him and he will look like a completely different bull. You may be surprised.

Thanks for the compliment, will try and get him in better shape for the Nov 25th turn out.Note it has been really dry here and grass had all burned up until about 2 weeks ago, now everthing is greening back up.Had to feed hay to cows in July.thanks again.JHH

Latest posts