JG looking grass but with burrs as seedheads

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I don't have a picture right now, but have seen some johnston grass looking stuff in the pastures but where the usual seedhead would be on JG, there are some really ugly looking burrs about 1/4-3/8" in diameter. Stems are tall like JG, 2-3 ft tall and the leaves look a lot like JG but for the burrs.
Burrs look like regular sand burrs....but on growth steroids.

I know the grass but not the name. It is not common here. I see it around what locals call "wet weather seeps". Wet weather seeps are like a septic tank leach line area.

The burrs are "starlike". In biology, we would call them "aster shaped". I don't know the name of the grass but sure sounds like what you are describing.

pictures didn't come out too good...too bright out, but I was able to pull some of it up. Shallow rooted and the immature burrs/seedheads begin as green, then take on a purplish hue, and then dry out to brown.

There's several different grasses growing in this area. I'm only concerned with the ones with the burrs.
imagehost

What we call sand burrs here have different looking leaves and grow close to the ground, but if you say this is sand spur, I'll take your word for it. I Have heard of it but have never seen it that I know of.
Before the burrs/spurs form, will cows eat it?

That don't grow around here yet. Will the cattle eat it good and does it make good hay?

Dogs and Cows":2zpg1z4x said:
No Idea what the burr grass is GB...but I will say...be nice of a nice field of crabgrass! My cows would be loving that!!!

Tim

Crabgrass is what I was going to say. I have some growing right outside my shop and it has heads that look like that. Don't know the variety, total volunteer. Really likes the non-washed river gravel I used for my driveway. Must be plenty of farmer's nutrients in it. Must be seeds that came along with the sandy gravel.

The crabgrass is slowly pushing out my bahia in 2 different areas, but so far, my cattle still prefer bahia over the crab.
Crabgrass is much more prevalent this year than previous years. In some spots, if it weren't for the crab, I wouldn't have any grass. It apparently likes the clay soil.