Jerseys...

Help Support CattleToday:

Classyusa

Reaction score
I got about a dozen weened jersey calves last summer. The things are a year old and they follow any person in their field like a swarm of puppies.

They almost fight over who gets petted. If I am working on a project they all come over to sniff and lick all of my tools.

Shoot. I've had brush pile fires and they all come over and stand around the fire like they are at a bonfire party.

I have one that knows his name and will come running across the field if you call him.

Has anyone else had the same experience of jerseys, or other breeds, turning completely tame like pets?

We raise bottle calves every year- everything from jerseys to highlander to angus and they are the same. They all have names and out of 20 or so every year 4 to 6 end up at the butcher. Our last batch of jerseys were just loaded by the neighbors and while he complained about them being puppies, they were fat, healthy, and loaded like dreams. And no I dont have an issue loading fluffball up and hauling him to the butcher, lol!

I got about a dozen weened jersey calves last summer. The things are a year old and they follow any person in their field like a swarm of puppies.

They almost fight over who gets petted. If I am working on a project they all come over to sniff and lick all of my tools.

Shoot. I've had brush pile fires and they all come over and stand around the fire like they are at a bonfire party.

I have one that knows his name and will come running across the field if you call him.

Has anyone else had the same experience of jerseys, or other breeds, turning completely tame like pets?
My wife and granddaughter bought 3 Jersey milk babies about a year ago...No kidding, the biggest pest I've ever been around. Can't do anything without them in your hip pocket. lol

I've raised jersey, Holstein, ho/Jo
Arshyre, sim/char, Angus, Brangus, waguy, beefmaster, herf/Angus, Gelvieh, brown Swiss, Swiss/Limo. And my experience with all of those breeds, is if you talk to them and pet them, by the time they're weaned off of the bottle , if not before they are in my hip pocket getting into everything, (but) they won't always let people they don't know touch them, it's probably about 40% that don't care who pets them. And that number goes down the longer I feed them.

I have an Angus cross who was never even sniffed by his mother. I am the only mother he has ever known. I can't do anything when he is around. He is trying to loosen up my milk by bumping me with his head. He is almost unstoppable

Those jerseys can get aggressive with age even steered...just keep your Gaurd up,turn from Jekyll to Hyde ..

Latest posts