Jersey's raised for beef

Help Support CattleToday:

tenacres

Reaction score
I'd like some feedback from those that have butchered a Jersey for beef. What did you think about the color of the fat? How was the flavor? How did it compare to a Hereford or Angus type beef breed? Thanks. Laurinda

They're usually excellent. They have beat most other breeds in the Warner-Bratzler Shear tests for tenderness.

I sell several for beef. As said before finish them out on corn and fresh water. Corn will whiten the fat.

personally as of late i have had excellent reviews on the ones i have slaughtered! have one going to slaughter tomorrow for a very picky customer who tried a "sample steak" and chose it over the angus, herdford or baldies i had been selling him,fed the same basic feed i always use! plus i can usually buy them cheaper therefore the end $$$$$ is better!

i'll try to get you a few pic's of our 2 babys here soon...kinda fun to feed but it does become work

I've gotten some GREAT feedback from you all! I think I'm going to take a shot at raising a Jersey. Thanks again for all your help!

They are hearty little buggers. They will become very frendly and gentle until they get up to about 400lbs then they will be butting you around wanting you to rub their head and pet on them. I keep'em gentle so they are easy to worm and load. I like to raise them. You don't get much for them unless you sell them for slaughter. I have someone stop just about every week wanting to buy them for beef.

any kind of breed will work for beef.doesnt matter if its a beef or dairy breed.swiss will work just fine .being raised for meat.scott

tenacres":1vtd7w9h said:
I was given a name today of a local rancher that has Brown Swiss available. What are your thoughts on this breed for meat?

They'll typically beef out better/heavier then Holsteins, but it takes more groceries to do it.

dun

preston39":3814ioy6 said:
dun,
Re your coment on brown swiss.....better meat tasting or .....?

Depends on how it's fed. Alos they are noted for being dumb as bag of rocks, but since I like them I prefer to think of them as "layed back"

dun

Jersey has one of the highest marbling % of any breed. I have some 1/2 and 1/4 with remainder % as Angus. Smaller carcass to fit the half and whole carcass buyer - and really good marbeling, even on grass. Guess the % Angus has helped any fat color problem.