Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
I live in Rhode Island and I am looking for a Jersey Heifer. Anyone nearby, Massachusetts or Connecticut have one for sale?
Please let me know. I am having a hard time finding one.

lancemart":2tmxwzbt said:
I live in Rhode Island and I am looking for a Jersey Heifer. Anyone nearby, Massachusetts or Connecticut have one for sale?
Why are you seeking a Jersey on a Beef Cattle Board?? :eek: That's like looking for a Yugo at a Mack Truck Dealership. Try "Google" and type in "Jersey Heifer". I'll bet they don't show you Angus Bull Auctions! :help:

when did they change it to "BeefCattleToday"? i must have been out that day. Maybe this stipulation is posted on the same page that says hobby farmers are not welcome here? Havent found that page yet, will keep looking...

Beefy":3nbs9y3i said:
when did they change it to "BeefCattleToday"? i must have been out that day. Maybe this stipulation is posted on the same page that says hobby farmers are not welcome here? Havent found that page yet, will keep looking...
Pretty sarcastic, Beefy :lol: But I guess you are right. I just got accustomed to readin' Beef. Jersey's are cows, too, aren't they? :shock: To answer the original question as to where he can find a Jersey heifer - Go to Google and type in "Jersey Heifer" :idea: How's that, Beefy? 8) Cool enough for you? ;-) Or perhaps you meant it to be satirical? :nod:

DOC HARRIS":lg38oxhd said:
lancemart":lg38oxhd said:
Why are you seeking a Jersey on a Beef Cattle Board?? :eek: That's like looking for a Yugo at a Mack Truck Dealership. Try "Google" and type in "Jersey Heifer". I'll bet they don't show you Angus Bull Auctions! :help:

I'm curious as to how your reasoning translates 'CattleToday' to BEEF 'CattleToday'?

Milkmaid has been around here for quite a while. I think she is into dairy animals. I think there are others as well.

One lady used to post who bred Jersey cattle and knew a lot of good information, particularly about raising calves. Can't remember her name but wish she was still posting. She was a real cattle woman, not just rhetoric.

What works for my beef ususlly works for my dairy animals. Some of the best meat calves I've had came from a dairy mama and a beef poppa. Fast growing and good eating.

Lancemart,

A few suggestions:

1. The Vermont Ag Review and the Massachusetts Market Bulletin both usually have Jerseys listed along with other fine cattle. Search for their websites--I couldnt locate either, but know they have them.

2. Take a drive in your rural farm areas and find some dairy farms. Stop in and introduce yourself. Most will have heifers for sale or know someone who does.

3. Contact your local Extension Service. Find out when the next 4H Dairy show is. There will be many great 4H kids and parents with heifers for sale at their farm.

4. There are several livestock markets in New England that sell large volumes of cattle during the week.
The 2 largest and closest to you are the FLAME ( Farmers Live Animal Market Exchange ) in Littleton Mass on Tuesdays.
AND Northampton Cooperative Auction Association South Deerfield, MA. Google for more info on them both.

Go visit the auctions and talk with dairy farmers that are there.

5. Some of the state universities have their own dairy herds. UMass, UNH, UConn, UMaine. Contact them.

6. Go to the local grain store and put an ad on their bulletin board that you are looking for a Jersey heifer. Talk to people at the grain store and you will have lots of info of where the best heifers are in the area.

Hope this helps.

Also try googling for these message boards-

Homesteadingtoday

keeping a Family cow

They usually have Jerseys on there, and seems like most are from the eastern US.

Good luck!
Susie

msscamp":3o7c4fb9 said:
DOC HARRIS":3o7c4fb9 said:
lancemart":3o7c4fb9 said:

I'm curious as to how your reasoning translates 'CattleToday' to BEEF 'CattleToday'?
Mental Lapse :oops: Check answer to Beefy

Ryder":2rrd5eyh said:
Milkmaid has been around here for quite a while. I think she is into dairy animals. I think there are others as well.

One lady used to post who bred Jersey cattle and knew a lot of good information, particularly about raising calves. Can't remember her name but wish she was still posting. She was a real cattle woman, not just rhetoric.
Duly chastised - duly accepted. Check answer to Beefy.

DOC HARRIS":12wri7p7 said:
msscamp":12wri7p7 said:
DOC HARRIS":12wri7p7 said:
lancemart":12wri7p7 said:

Mental Lapse :oops: Check answer to Beefy

Been there, done that! :)

Would like to ask a question? What is it about Jersey cattle that is so fasinating? I know as dairy cows they excellent butterfat numbers and are pretty fair milkers (except for small teats). But the ones I have been around (limited) could be pretty darn mean.

Well from my limited experience we had to growing up. If you ever get a good one you will fall in love they are great mothers great milkers, the butter is to die for and if crossed to and english breed make fast growing good fleshing calfs that just drop out.

MD

Ps the other end, they can be crazy sobs that will drive you nuts and try to kill you in a heart beat lol we had both

Angus Guy":2ni69hzs said:
Would like to ask a question? What is it about Jersey cattle that is so fasinating? I know as dairy cows they excellent butterfat numbers and are pretty fair milkers (except for small teats). But the ones I have been around (limited) could be pretty darn mean.
Jersey Bulls, especially! :shock: :shock: Oo-hoo-ee :eek: :eek: They are snee-kee and can 'horn in' on your business - -particularly when you collect semen! :stop: :stop:

I almost always keep Jersey cattle around for one reason or the other. I love Jersey steer beef. Other then a bit of extra bone, the meat is marbled very nicely, and they are in fact cheap to purchase as calves here still, thusly, they also remain the cheapest at the sale barn as adults.

But I do have a couple Jersey nurse cows I keep at least 3 to 4 calves on almost constantly, the are great peronality's, and good mothers to almost anything that wants to suck em.

Lancaster farmer paper just ran an article about several 4H groups now working Dairybeef calves..... and doing a pretty good job of it.............Beef is not a particular breed, it's defined as meat from bovine animals, ak cattle of any breed, and I think dairy breeds are still considered bovines eh? ;-)

Latest posts