jersey vs guernsey for freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
I run a Cow Calf operation with Charolais and Charolais cross, but I don't know much about feeding freezer beef, but learning a lot on this site.

Besides getting a Wagyu or Wagyu/Angus cross, Jerseys and Guernsey seem to be the next best options for tender and marbled beef, which breed would be best to feed for 24 months? :cboy:

Jerseys will be smaller so I'd use Guernsey I have never raised a Guernsey though if it grows like a Holstein you won't need to keep it for 24mo.

frieghttrain":30j900ki said:
Jerseys will be smaller so I'd use Guernsey I have never raised a Guernsey though if it grows like a Holstein you won't need to keep it for 24mo.

24-30 months seems to produce the most marbling on them, Wagyu are fed to up to 40 months, I really don't mind feeding them for that long, I just want exceptionally good beef for my family and friends :cboy:

Bigfoot":wpklk3yd said:
They both have yellow fat don't they?
I believe so, but I am not worried about that, because it's just natural beta carotene in the grass, besides I will finish them on grain as long as I can.

Old timey Guernsey breeder told me they tried to make them tall like a stein and ruined the breed.
An old Jersey guy told me they don't have a good warm hair coat and are frail.
I think they are both right.

Stocker Steve":ck7idy1b said:
Old timey Guernsey breeder told me they tried to make them tall like a stein and ruined the breed.
An old Jersey guy told me they don't have a good warm hair coat and are frail.
I think they are both right.

They are right about the guernsey breed. They tried to make them too "dairy" and lost alot of the hardiness of the old-tyme ones. Guernseys used to be a little raw-boned, and coarser than they are today. They also don't seem to have the hardiness that they used to. I found an outcross bull from an older typed guernsey that milks pretty good and am using him on my two guernseys now. If you use it as a cross you ought to get some decent freezer beef.
The jerseys are a little different. They are smaller and maybe a bit more frail, although there has been some movement to try to make them more of a milk wagon than they used to be. They do good up in N.E. so I won't say they are all that frail. They are good graziers and that's all I eat for beef. I wouldn't be afraid to use a jersey as a cross for freezer beef. They will dress out a bit smaller, and their fat isn't nearly as yellow as a guernsey. We kill ours in the 2 yr old range and find they are just fine. Ours are mostly all grass fed, and have no trouble getting them finished. :) :)

Thanks for the replays folks, I am more interested in pure bred steers, I will try to get a couple of weaned jersey or Guernsey steers and avoid bottle calves.

Latest posts