jersey steers

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Hi, I'm raising 8 jersey steers for a guy, and I was curious your thoughts on what I (how much) should be feeding them. They are about 500 lbs. Currently I'm giving them about 60 lbs per day of hay(total) plus about 14 lbs of steer grower mix(per head). Any thoughts? Too much? Too little? When to ramp it up? Also, all feed is paid for by the guy. Thanks.

3% 0f bodyweight (15# for 500lb calf)is on the upper end of normal consumption. Sounds like they are eating that much if they weigh only 500#. Check the consistency of their manure. If it is similar to pancake batter, doesn't stackup much but not too runny then the protein and digestiblity are about right. If the manure stacks up they probably need more protein (from the mixed feed). If too runny increase the amount of hay.

I would gradually increase their feed by one additional pound /hd every 3 days until they do not eat it all before the next feeding. Then feed all they will eat each day. Don't change the mixed feed amount too rapidly. Also, feed the hay fee choice. They will balance their dry matter needs this way.

I'd probably hold back the grain mix to a max of 2% of body weight. You start giving those 500 pounders all they can eat everyday and they'll eat you AND your partner out of house and home. First thing you know they'll be eating 25 lbs. of grain per day and not nearly enough hay. Hopefully that steer ration has a good source of roughage in it as well. (Cottonseed hulls or beet pulp).

Latest posts