jersey steers

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 2 jersey steers and 1 eats way more than the other in grain (NU 14% dairy grain) and the other eats way more in hay, the big one weighs 400 pounds and the little one has been 325 pounds for about a week now, he eats grain at every meal, I feed 3 times a day,4 pounds each cow at each meal, plus first cut hay as much as they want, and always clean water and clean bedding. the big one averages 3.5 pounds a day, I know thats alot for a jersey, but he is weighed often as he likes it...does it seem that the little cow might be wormy? I wormed them about 2 months ago when I bought them at 175 lbs and 150 lbs, I used the pour on Ivomec.or is it that the big cow is just a pig and he is just doing way better..I know not too much about cows as I was a horse person for years, any advice would be greatly thanked

[email protected]

Well I don't know much about Jerseys but I do mess with Holstien/Jersey cross. I know it sound odd but the two crosses are out growing the pure Holstiens!! So I don't know what to say.

Brown Swiss seem to grow slightly better. This may because they are more hardy than holsteins. They also bring a few cent per pound better because they are more bulky and meaty than holsteins.

yvette grenier":2cmrq4f4 said:
I have 2 jersey steers and 1 eats way more than the other in grain (NU 14% dairy grain) and the other eats way more in hay, the big one weighs 400 pounds and the little one has been 325 pounds for about a week now, he eats grain at every meal, I feed 3 times a day,4 pounds each cow at each meal, plus first cut hay as much as they want, and always clean water and clean bedding. the big one averages 3.5 pounds a day, I know thats alot for a jersey, but he is weighed often as he likes it...does it seem that the little cow might be wormy? I wormed them about 2 months ago when I bought them at 175 lbs and 150 lbs, I used the pour on Ivomec.or is it that the big cow is just a pig and he is just doing way better..I know not too much about cows as I was a horse person for years, any advice would be greatly thanked

[email protected]
wormed it again, see how it goes, if it continue the same maybe it's just not as outstanding as the fatty one

Latest posts