Jersey Steers for eating

Help Support CattleToday:

In my opinion nothing can beat a jersey x angus steer. We always have atleast on on feed at all times incase we need meat or a neighbor is looking to buy one. The jersey does take longer to finish compared to a beef breed but it is delicouse. My grandpa calls jersey beef old people meat because its easy to chew. We have had steaks that you could cut with a fork that have come from jersey crosses. We dont order steaks when we go out to eat because we usually arent impressed since we have it so good at home. We feed them ground ear corn as soon as calves are weaned. Feed them mostly quality grass hay with small amount of grain till they hit 400 pounds. Then work them up till full feed till they are fat. Jerseys dont get real big when they are fat. They tend to fatten out in the 1100 to 1200 pound range.

we just picked up our holstein steer yesterday and i cooked hamburgers last night and only put salt and pepper on them and they were really good. i think we will be pleased with the rest of "holy" too. we bought the calf as a bottle calf 3/2/10 and had him with replacement heifers until this past may then put him on hay and grain for 100 days. this is our first time actually raising one to butcher. i think we will keep one of our regular beef calves and try it this time around.

Latest posts