Jersey Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":38l172rc said:
What could I expect to pay for an average Jersey heifer right afer she is weaned?

Unless this jersey heifer was on a nurse cow, she will probably be weaned around 2 months. Unless the pratice has changed drastically since I've been the dairy industry. I can't help with the price. Have to watch the local markets.

From the dairy sale yesterday in Norwood, MO

Open: Approved 700-800 lbs 1025.00-1395.00; 600-700 lbs 1000.00-1300.00,
lot of 16 at 676lbs 1330.00; 500-600 lbs 800.00-1175.00, lot of 13 at 573lbs
1230.00, Crossbreds 825.00-1000.00; 400-500 lbs 750.00-990.00, lot of 4 at
469lbs 1090.00, Jersey indv 1000.00, Crossbreds 725.00-870.00; 300-400 lbs
660.00-940.00, Crossbreds 585.00-850.00; 200-300 lbs 550.00 740.00,
Crossbreds 540.00-580.00; Medium 400-500 lbs few 560.00-700.00; 300-400
lbs few 575.00-650.00.

jerry27150":373rd424 said:
:shock: sounds like i should raise dairy heifers

Right now dairy anything female is sky high. But it will get back to more normal in the next year or two.
There are still dairy expansions going on in some places and in others they're subsidizing getting rid of cows. The milk industry went through so much bbom and bust in the past few years, at times costs of production even on really well run dairys exceeded prices. Now they're trying to keep the prices up, but people are expanding so another cycle will start before long. Of course my clairvoyance has been suspect in the past.

dun

The dairy where I get jersey bull calves from sells his heifers at 1 day old for $400, and they go up from there. A yearling sells for $1200. After they are bred he doesn't sell them.

i have a jersey heifer that i had bought planning to resell before she calved. well that day is getting close and i am thinking of maybe keeping her and raising baby calves. would her milk be to rich with butterfat. if i choose to raise baby calves how many would you put on a first time heifer and how long before you tern her dry.

jerry27150":kzisftew said:
:shock: sounds like i should raise dairy heifers

Place near me has a Jersey cow they milk out (a little) for themselves and stick odd calves on. They also let their yearly slaughter calf nurse until it gets too big to suck without getting down on its knees. They just breed her to whatever commercial bull they have at the time when they need to, so her calves are crossbreds. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about the milking ability of a heifer from a similar mating?

I can't remember seeing any Jersey heifers selling around here, so I didn't know what to expect. I could handle the $400 for a day old calf, but bottle feeding it would not be good right now since I work 12 hours a day away from the cows. When they are showing the crossbreed in Norwood, I wonder what they are crossed with? I'll have to think on this one a bit longer.

Chuckie":3oxkr1jg said:
When they are showing the crossbreed in Norwood, I wonder what they are crossed with?

Typically airy crossbreds at that sale are Jersey Holstein, occasioanlly Holstein Brown Swiss

dun

well bernard , if she is crossed with any beef with a little milk to it she would milk pretty well.
yeah dun i heard they were having another buyout. i got on the one in 86

Jerseys are not easy to find in my area. Most of the dairies around here use Holstein. There aren't many Brown Swiss either. Trying to buy a dairy heifer around here these days is pretty difficult as well. Two of the local dairies I have gone to won't even sell their heifers. The few that do, they are very pricey. One can easily expect to spend $1,000 or more for one that isn't bred yet. I got lucky with the Jersey I have, I bought her several years ago, and just happened to come across her from a friend. I paid $450 for her as a yearling, unbred. That was cheap. The best $450 bucks I've ever spent.

Katherine

I don't know about Jersey heifers (open) here.. although there is a sizeable dairy auction barn in Sulphur Springs, but I"ve seen wet Jersey's advertised for $750 - $1,000.

TheBullLady":3u2v6ih5 said:
I don't know about Jersey heifers (open) here.. although there is a sizeable dairy auction barn in Sulphur Springs, but I"ve seen wet Jersey's advertised for $750 - $1,000.

In the last year in most places a Jersey that's milking and only 750-1000 would be a suspect to have too many problems to be of much value.

dun

dun i was at the norwood auction...i was biding on the 7 crossbreed heifers that were just off milk..they when for $165 wish i had bought them now but there was one i didn't like so i stopped there.....i go almost every other week......i like it better when they have just the regular sale not the dairy sale...john

That's sure painfuly low for any kind of weaned heifers unless they were pretty sorry. I've seen times when a day old calf will bring exactly the same and sometimes more then the same basic calf but weaned. Never have figured out how that makes any money for anyone bu the auctineer and feed store.
Were you by any chance at Brookes sale a couple of cold weeks ago?

dun

yes i have seen day olds like last week the one with the red ribbon around its neck bring $465..and then a weaned one only bring $425....guess they are buying on............. what will be instead of what is ........like at reg sales sometimes a cow calf pair bring less then a 3rd stage cow same kind size...give me the live calf anytime...sorry i was not at that sale....i am just buying a few calfs to turn into milk cows mostly jerseys...by the way i am in poplar bluff were are you i have email at [email protected]......

When you have a Jersey cow, and she gives birth to one calf, does she only make enough milk for the one calf if that is the only one she nurses? Then when you put the second calf on, she begins to produce enough for the two? I get all kinds of stories on this one. I can't tell if some are just running their mouth or actually know what they are talking about. Some are telling me that if she has one calf, that she will have to be milked by hand otherwise, she will keep producing a lot more than the one calf will be able to drink and then it becomes a health problem for the cow.

Latest posts