Jersey Heifer Too Skinny?

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar said:
With dairy cows you either want to use cydectin or epirnex to deworm as those are the only dewormers approved for them.
It appears the approval parameters are based on being over 20 months of age and whether or not they are lactating. Suspect those parameters aren't based on any danger to the respective dairy breeds but culpability associated with detecting drug residues.
https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/med...rmerComparisionChart.pdf?sha=c6f43e4d785cac30

I was just thinking, that would only be if the milk was being used to sell to people ....

I would say to decide when the earliest is you want her to calve, say in March, then she should be going with the bull in June or so. See how she looks a couple of weeks after this worming. Then maybe use something like an ivermec on her for a second time and then put her our to be bred. I have 4 that are going to go with a bull here in late June or July for spring calves.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep you updated in the next few weeks as to how she is coming along. I have a young Angus bull that would be perfect for her as I would rather have the faster weight gain if she has a bull calf. How are jersey Angus heifers? Do they usually produce a good amount of milk?

wormer type restricted on lactating cows is correct... if you look at the label it will tell you how many days meat/milk withhold, if the milk withhold is anything over zero you can use it on youngstock and dry cows that won't calve (or supply milk for human consumption) until that time has elapsed.
Me, I use a combination wormer on youngstock and keep it well away from the dairy cows. The single-acting wormers that are permitted for lactating cows aren't effective enough in this area, to protect calves.

Jersey angus crosses can milk well. The angus can bring in a bit of temperament, making her harder to handle than a straight Jersey, but many settle just fine into life as a milking cow.
Hopefully your heifer will improve some on good grass over the next few months, she certainly does look skinny in the photos but not extremely so.

Latest posts