Jersey heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks HD,
I know many of you use the high energy diet mixes...(no one carries dairy starter mixes here) we've stayed away from it due to too many problems it causes, like TB stated. They are really doing well in the mini pasture, dairy folk we got them from had them in hutches and really small pens of nothing but dirt. I appreciate the input from all of you and I'll watch the girls closely, so far, they are starting to fill in a little and seem to like their feed mix even though not eating much at a time.
Valerie

HD, my general impression is that a lot of new studies that change/support the way farmers do things aren't telling us anything new. I don't think animal physiology changes, but interpretation of research results certainly does alter, especially if someone with a product to sell is paying for the research.

The recommendations for dealing with calf scours have completely turned around in the last decade or so - now they're not to be taken off milk because they 'need the energy'. The old ways will still work just as well as they ever did.

Milk is the important energy/protein source at this stage - the grass will have adequate levels of both, it's just that young calves haven't yet got the ability to digest it. So they're reliant on milk/grain feed while their rumens are developing.

regolith":1txiu277 said:
Milk is the important energy/protein source at this stage - the grass will have adequate levels of both, it's just that young calves haven't yet got the ability to digest it. So they're reliant on milk/grain feed while their rumens are developing.
What grasses are you referring to that have a TDN% of 70 or better. Anything less is certainly not adequate.

regolith":3boijgzz said:
I'm not sure why you posted these pics, I though we were only talking about dairy breeds?? You even have the jpeg titled "crossbred calves"?? Keep all those calves on grass and watch how far behind the dairy calves end up.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those calves are now in-calf heifers due to calve from the 23 of this month. Did you... er... miss the fact that I'm a dairy farmer? They're Jerseys, Holsteins and crosses between the two. The herfxholstein with half a head in the frame doesnt count.

It is possible to

The jokes on you. You're the one milking beef cross cattle. Holstein x jersey calves aren't black. Neither of the calves in the bottom pic are full dairy.

what the heck??

Ist cross Holstein cross Jersey is more likely to come out straight black than any other colour. I sired most of those calves personally (as the AI tech).
The brown and white calf in the bottom pic is HolsteinxJersey (J10F6). If you can read the tag numbers on any of those other calves I'll tell you what breed mix they are.

Maybe you think Holstein Friesian (as opposed to Holstein) is a beef breed?
Now you're tempting me to post more photos...

regolith":fo43qj6s said:

Don't worry with it Rego. You're dealing with an idiot. HD we raised our calves much like you guys did. Each had his own house with a front yard. :nod: We fed 2 qts of "real milk" twice daily along with free choice water and an 18% Starter Ration. We usually weaned at 6 weeks, then put them in a 3 acre trap where they had access to a 14% ration of corn, soybean meal, soyhulls, oats and vit/minerals and medicated with Bovatec along with grazing and hay. They stayed on this ration until breeding age and then went on the dry cow ration until calving.

Val I'd consider raising the protein on your mix some...14% at least. Calves need a good highly digestible feed but they do not need excess energy.(There is a difference in TDN and Net Energy levels. They don't burn that much energy at this age. Let them enjoy the grass/hay whenever they decide to eat it, regardless of the nutritional value of it.

regolith":3zltbosc said:
what the heck??

Ist cross Holstein cross Jersey is more likely to come out straight black than any other colour. I sired most of those calves personally (as the AI tech).
The brown and white calf in the bottom pic is HolsteinxJersey (J10F6). If you can read the tag numbers on any of those other calves I'll tell you what breed mix they are.
So the slick haired solid black calves in the top pic and the long haired brown and white ox lookin creature in the bottom picture are both F1 holstein x jersey??

Any jersey/ holstein calf I've ever raised were a dark dark brown with a white spot their forehead.

You won't find 1 dairy in these parts that raise their calves on pasture. They are all started out in crates and then dry lotted till they are atleast 6mnths old.

It's fun though, and it's pouring rain, and I'm wondering if MF will try to tell me number 31 is an Angus and it's simply flukey that she's my top production cow and was leased out last year and was the top cow in the lessee's herd as well.
But you're right, I should be down at the cowshed putting new teats in the feeders and trying not to get soaked every time I run between the sheds. I'm getting there...
I've another thread kicking around now about grass-feeding calves - I don't analyse the pasture, I just raise the calves. TDN isn't a measure we really use in this country, I just give the young calves the best grass available and am happy enough with the results.

Here's one of those calves from the group I posted - she won't have been in that image I doubt, because she was one of the last-born that year:
398_june_2011.JPG

Good enough udder for a 'beef' cow?:
31_March_10.JPG

What breed do you think she is MF? Angus? Simm? Gelbvieh? What about 398 above? Maybe she's got a touch of Braunvieh - there might be a bit of it floating around in my herd. Or Galloway?
It's always fun to see what turns up from a cross.
I'll make a new thread just for you MF135 - that rain is coming down in sheets and 'guess the breed' sounds like a fun way to avoid it.

edit - which university is that MF?
I'm gunna tell 361 she's an 'ox' :lol:

TexasBred":1awfli48 said:
regolith":1awfli48 said:

Don't worry with it Rego. You're dealing with an idiot. HD we raised our calves much like you guys did. Each had his own house with a front yard. :nod: We fed 2 qts of "real milk" twice daily along with free choice water and an 18% Starter Ration. We usually weaned at 6 weeks, then put them in a 3 acre trap where they had access to a 14% ration of corn, soybean meal, soyhulls, oats and vit/minerals and medicated with Bovatec along with grazing and hay. They stayed on this ration until breeding age and then went on the dry cow ration until calving.

Val I'd consider raising the protein on your mix some...14% at least. Calves need a good highly digestible feed but they do not need excess energy.(There is a difference in TDN and Net Energy levels. They don't burn that much energy at this age. Let them enjoy the grass/hay whenever they decide to eat it, regardless of the nutritional value of it.

TB, what would you recommend I use for the protein source to raise it? Is SBM OK or should I add extra soyhulls? THanks
Valerie

MF135":aghzvmzr said:
Purchase a 16% textured feed known as calf starter.

No thank you! That stuff is higher than the dickins and I'll bet it's high energy. Don't feed high energy to any bovine on the farm. My feed mix is only costing around $6 per 50lbs and the feed stores want double to triple that price. OUCH!
Valerie

vclavin":259br0h7 said:
MF135":259br0h7 said:
Purchase a 16% textured feed known as calf starter.

No thank you! That stuff is higher than the dickins and I'll bet it's high energy. Don't feed high energy to any bovine on the farm. My feed mix is only costing around $6 per 50lbs and the feed stores want double to triple that price. OUCH!
Valerie
You better spray and kill all clover, ryegrass, wheat, oats and nearly every cool season grass bc they are all high energy. You will not find a formulated textured feed out there that has adequate protein (16-18%) that ,by definition, is not high energy.

Clearly you won't take my word for it so I will offer you the last piece of advice. Contact Dr. Robert Winn at the North East Texas Farmers Co Op in Sulphur Springs, Tx and ask him what type a ration jersey heifers need. He is a nutritionist that specializes is dairy replacement nutrition. Toll Free 800-722-0174 or email [email protected]

MF135":kvv8fyx2 said:
TexasBred":kvv8fyx2 said:
regolith":kvv8fyx2 said:
Don't worry with it Rego. You're dealing with an idiot.

Coming from an Aggie.... :lol: It's ok though, I realize not everyone could go to THE University.

Ahhhh come on loser...get over it....some like you could get into THE universit ONLY. Painfully obvious.

Latest posts