Jersey drop calves

Help Support CattleToday:

scottsprouse

Reaction score
What is the best way to get the drop calves fronm the auctions on their feet. We give them colostrum and milk and antibiotics. Is there an old time mix to help get them strong. I add an raw egg for every quart of milk made
They are the Jersey bull calfes that usually have not seen the teet even once and are in bad shape when you get em. We have Ok luck getting them on their feet but want to try and get a little edge going
Thanks
Scott

scottsprouse":2f3uasoe said:
What is the best way to get the drop calves fronm the auctions on their feet. We give them colostrum and milk and antibiotics. Is there an old time mix to help get them strong. I add an raw egg for every quart of milk made
They are the Jersey bull calfes that usually have not seen the teet even once and are in bad shape when you get em. We have Ok luck getting them on their feet but want to try and get a little edge going
Thanks
Scott

Why would you even buy one of those calves? Assume you pay next to nothing for them (or they pay you to take them? lol.)

Running Arrow Bill":1us58rlz said:
Why would you even buy one of those calves? Assume you pay next to nothing for them (or they pay you to take them? lol.)
Maybe you should change your username to "Short Memory Bill." Forget this one already?

Running Arrow Bill":1us58rlz said:
My apologies to the posters!

I obviously displayed my ignorance about this category of calves.

Guess I never had that many hours in a day (or the interest) in raising babies by hand... And, obviously prefer and deal with Mother Nature in raising cattle and horses...let their mamas raise them until weaning.

Again, I should not reply to posts that I do not completely understand. Will try to watch myself in future.

;-) :)

Hi Running Arrow Bill
Nice to meet you, and thank you for welcoming me to the board. The calves are done for my wife, (and she lets them be for the family come food time) She seeks enjoyment from raising them. She grew up in Garland and barely owned a dog so all the animals she can raise now are fun to her as well as my 5 year old daughter. I grew up in southeastern Ok and we raised angus and Hereford and anything else that could be on a farm, all my school years and the only time we raised one on bottle was cause momma died and we didnt have a cow that would take the baby. Even when momma died we milked out her colostrum to get them started. I am just looking for away that might help in getting the"orphans" off to a better easier start. The easier it is for her the easier it is for me :D .
We have Longhorn(not registered) and Tennessee Walkers here as well(a gaited horse)
Still looking for any advice that will help strengthen the babies
Thanks to all
Scott

Since you don't know their history, I would probably lean towards giving them some cholostrum, even the bagged kind, selenium and Nuflor. I'm not a fan of shotgunning with antibiotics, but in this case it can help and can't hurt. Even though they are too old probably for the cholosturm to have the antibody affect, the additional nutrition in it will give them a little help. Premium milk replacer fed at the manufacturers specs., water, keep them out of drafts and keep their pens with a dry spot for them to bed down and that's about all I can think of that you can do for the little boogers.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":29xe8v24 said:
scottsprouse":29xe8v24 said:
Thanks
Scott

Not to start a fight but most BEEF cattle men would ask the same question about longhorns......
I haven't raised babies in a few years but we would give three things as soon as we got them home. Red Nose, Vitamin B and somthing else....
Can't remember?

Hillbilly

scottsprouse":219ton6g said:
Thanks
Scott

You might try Beef Nutri Drench, I buy it at Tractor Supply.

You give them 30cc per 100 lbs.

Has Vitamin A, D and E in it. It's good for, scours, weak calves, off feed calves, shipping stress, Pneumonia, vaccinations and a bunch of other stuff. I personally think that it works really well.

Thanks for the replies will give it a try and see if this helps. 1-2 out of every 5 she brings home have died( seeing some of these things I dont know how they live at all) So trying to better the odds
Again thanks for the advice
Scott

hillbilly":h91avgae said:
Not to start a fight but most BEEF cattle men would ask the same question about longhorns......
:D Very good point you make there, William!

Running Arrow Bill":uj1qyquo said:
scottsprouse":uj1qyquo said:
Thanks
Scott

To tell you the truth Running Arrow Bill, I would almost rather have a jersey calf on my place than a fence-jumping longhorn. Raising bottle calves is rewarding.

Latest posts