jersey crossbreds

Help Support CattleToday:

It is highly unlikely that you will find jersey/ brahaman crosses due to the fact that by breeding a small breed of cows such as jerseys to large brahaman bulls would greatly by diminish calving ease. Which is a major factor that most dairy farms breed for so they don't loose as many cows and calves due to birthing complications. Plus many farmers don't want to have to pull calves unnecessarily. Jersey calves tend to weigh between 25-50lbs at birth, and beef calves are much larger 75-170lb and some even heavier.

jerseylover14":xxnoliq5 said:
It is highly unlikely that you will find jersey/ brahaman crosses due to the fact that by breeding a small breed of cows such as jerseys to large brahaman bulls would greatly by diminish calving ease. Which is a major factor that most dairy farms breed for so they don't loose as many cows and calves due to birthing complications. Plus many farmers don't want to have to pull calves unnecessarily. Jersey calves tend to weigh between 25-50lbs at birth, and beef calves are much larger 75-170lb and some even heavier.

Welcome to the forum, and I don't like to jump new members, but are you sure about your figures? While it may happen, I believe newborn calves anywhere close to 170lbs are exceptionally rare.

I know this thread is old, but it wouldn't bother me if event cow in my pasture had a little jersey in it.

jerseylover14":3ry360aj said:
Jersey x Brahman cross is occasionally produced in the South but its not rare cross. It's rare for a jersey cow have any birth trouble due to their pelvic size so they just farted a calf out. Our neighbor has a bull that is half Jersey half Belgian Blue (dam is a jersey). But a 170lbs newborn calf is extremely rare in many beef breeds.

this is my 1/2 Jersey 1/4 Highland 1/8 Angus 1/8 Herford due with her first calf March 10th
bred to a Jersey , she is polled
Suzanne

Rafter S":1re8lnyo said:
jerseylover14":1re8lnyo said:

Welcome to the forum, and I don't like to jump new members, but are you sure about your figures? While it may happen, I believe newborn calves anywhere close to 170lbs are exceptionally rare.

You are right 170lbs was a bit of an exaggeration, 75-150lbs would have been more correct. However, it is still rare that a Jersey farmer would breed jersey cows to anything as large as a brahaman bull. I have owned jerseys all my life, and the largest bull I have ever bred my cows to was a hereford. Even though the my cows had never had any calving issues before i had to pull calves from this cross as they were exceptionally large through the head and shoulders. The calves were between 75-100lbs. That's just my personal experience.

jerseylover14":1t40ppqt said:
Rafter S":1t40ppqt said:
jerseylover14":1t40ppqt said:

You are right 170lbs was a bit of an exaggeration, 75-150lbs would have been more correct. However, it is still rare that a Jersey farmer would breed jersey cows to anything as large as a brahaman bull. I have owned jerseys all my life, and the largest bull I have ever bred my cows to was a hereford. Even though the my cows had never had any calving issues before i had to pull calves from this cross as they were exceptionally large through the head and shoulders. The calves were between 75-100lbs. That's just my personal experience.
You can find a calving ease bull in any breed. :welcome:

Nomad,
I'd be recommending you use a Milking Shorthorn rather than a Highland, over that Jersey cow. You'd get plenty of hair and toughness to handle a tough winter... and better milk production.

JWBrahman":w0hyvnqd said:
Jersey x Gir Leiteiro is your best Jersey x Brahman cross
One of the best looking herd of beef cows I've seen in a while belong to a dairyman over in East Texas. Breeds his jerseys to red brahman bulls. Those cattle are awesome.

TexasBred":302yzlx8 said:
JWBrahman":302yzlx8 said:
Jersey x Gir Leiteiro is your best Jersey x Brahman cross
One of the best looking herd of beef cows I've seen in a while belong to a dairyman over in East Texas. Breeds his jerseys to red brahman bulls. Those cattle are awesome.

There are some Texans I know who are running a dairy in Brazil. They use a Gir Leiteiro bull on Jersey cows. The calves are a lot thicker than you would think and the crossbred cows are very efficient.

Lucky_P":24z95irg said:
Nomad,
I'd be recommending you use a Milking Shorthorn rather than a Highland, over that Jersey cow. You'd get plenty of hair and toughness to handle a tough winter... and better milk production.

If you are looking for the milk production end I would agree on the milking shorthorn/jersey cross. If you just want some beefiness on the calf to raise to eat I'd go with an angus cross. The females make decent milkers too, and I usually put a 2nd calf on the 1/2 jer/ang , if she is going to get a little extra feed so doesn't get pulled down . They milk pretty good and I like it. There is also alot of dairies using sweedish or norweigan reds and they are beefier but milk pretty good. I am seriously considering trying it on my hol/jer crosses. Have not had alot of luck with shorthorn crosses on mine, but everyone's different. :) :)

We're considering starting, with a cooperator of ours, a small project of Aubrac sired F1 Jersey cross calves for 2018.

Heifers for recips. Bulls for a specialty beef market (unless someone somewhere would want one as a breeder).

Latest posts