Jersey cow price?

Help Support CattleToday:

willow bottom

Reaction score
What do you think is a fair price for a jersey heifer or a young cow? I'm looking to buy a couple and i'm only experienced in beef breeds.

A lady wants to sell me a 6 month old and a 3 month old heifer for $600 apiece I just thought that was kinda high for a jersey, but then again I have no idea. What say the pros?

Depends...... are they registered and is the price based on the bloodlines? Heifers are gonna cost more comparatively than a milking cow. Just the way it seems to work. Are you looking for a family cow or two down the road and want to raise them up so that they are familiar with you and your set up etc?
Where are you and how available are they in your area? Here in Va I have seen heifers bring more than cows already in milk. I don't buy heifers because of the price being so much higher than what I can buy a cow for. But, I also don't care much about showing or bloodlines in that context.

Honestly, I think it is a little high. Especially the 3 month old. I figure that pound price at the yard is in the 1.00 lb range, then go from there. A cull jersey cow isn't worth $. 40 right now, so price for a family cow shouldn't run more than $6-800 on average; but I have seen them for $1200. Having some history on them is a little plus in the price. If you figure what it costs to raise one up, then the 6 month old is worth about $500. which is still high for the current market. But when you figure in the value of the calf, and the milk replacer and the feed to get it grown out properly, then there is a value of 1500 for a heifer ready to freshen. Todays market won't support that price, but it should. Most of my dairy farmers say it costs 2,000 to get a holstein heifer into the milking herd as a 2 yr old. That's fed right, bred AI and freshened out ready to milk. I have to agree and there is such a surplus of replacements that I am seeing them bring 12-1500.

If you are experienced in beef breeds then you can also see the drop in the prices for breds and cow/calf pairs in the past year or so. Especially here lately.

farmerjan said:
Most of my dairy farmers say it costs 2,000 to get a holstein heifer into the milking herd as a 2 yr old. That's fed right, bred AI and freshened out ready to milk. I have to agree and there is such a surplus of replacements that I am seeing them bring 12-1500. quote]

So why are you looking at young calves when you can buy a cow for much less?

run of the mill 16-18 month old short bred Jersey Heifers 750 - $1,000
3 month and 6 month old jersey heifer calves.... 500 - $600 for the pair... not each
Jersey dairy heifers 300 - 500 lbs... maybe a buck a pound

Latest posts