jersey charolais cross

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
Anybody on here ever breed any jersey cows to a charolais bull? just curious what the cross looked like and how well the calves grew.

MtnCows93":2c7gxq9m said:
Anybody on here ever breed any jersey cows to a charolais bull? just curious what the cross looked like and how well the calves grew.

Been many years ago, but yes I have. Calves looked like a regular charlois cross, with a hint of a hatchet butt. Little chicken legged in the front. Weighed good though. Probably the best choice to put on a Jersey. I actually liked the cross. Have wished a few times, that I had some cows bred that way.

I'd find a good Brahman bull before I put a char bull over them. Although it depends a lot on your location.

holm25":297ae5pi said:
I'd find a good Brahman bull before I put a char bull over them. Although it depends a lot on your location.
Hopefully Brahman won't give you a bull calf..... Charolais on other hand will give you bull/heifer calves that is marketable.

Many here are using Limi on jerseys. The some calves will be red if you have the market. But limi calves tend to be longer rather than wider so not as much problem with calving. Since we are in a "black oriented" area, angus, or black limi or black simi are what alot of dairy farmers are using on their lower end cows. The females will make decent beef cows with a little extra milk.

farmerjan":3lcdwzek said:
Many here are using Limi on jerseys. The some calves will be red if you have the market. But limi calves tend to be longer rather than wider so not as much problem with calving. Since we are in a "black oriented" area, angus, or black limi or black simi are what alot of dairy farmers are using on their lower end cows. The females will make decent beef cows with a little extra milk.
id say all those bulls would do well, no need to worry about calving with jersey's though

In the early 70s I had a neighbor move in that had retired from a Jersey dairy and brought 50 Jersey heifers with him to a small hill farm. He AI'ed them to the big Charolais that were popular at the time. He continued to cross the F-1s back to these huge Charolais. They made wonderful cows that weaned growthy calves that sold well. Back then they all had horns and had to be dehorned. I bought a few of the second cross cows for $300 each when he retired and bred them to an Angus bull for some of the best calves I ever raised. Cows got high and I sold the cows for $850 after weaning the calves and always regretted it, and my neighbor was sore at me for selling them. I was just starting out and short on cash and could not resist the chance at an easy profit. I remember the sale caused my taxes and social security payments to go up that year and made the deal not so good.
Anyway, they were good cows if you fed them well, as good as any I ever owned. It set my course in the cattle business, buying cheap dairy cross heifers and breeding them. I would sell some as springers and keep the best. That was in the tail end of the baby beef days and I did pretty well with them.

I remember reading in the book Crossbreeding Beef Cattle, I believe published by the University of Florida, that the Charolais-Jersey cross really nicks. The other I remember they said was special was Hereford x Holstein.

I'd say, anything crossed on a Jersey, that hides the Jersey would be a good cross.

Mossy Dell":1zeebjvl said:
I remember reading in the book Crossbreeding Beef Cattle, I believe published by the University of Florida, that the Charolais-Jersey cross really nicks. The other I remember they said was special was Hereford x Holstein.

Back when I raised dairy calves on nurse cows we had both Holstein and Jersey cows. At first we used Angus bulls, and the calves from the Holsteins were usually pretty good and made some nice crossbred cows, some which we used as nurse cows themselves. The Angus Jersey crosses made nice cows but due to them looking for the most part like dark brown Jerseys I decided to try a Hereford bull. The Hereford cross calves were very nice and grew better. Occasionally a calf would be brindle out of a Jersey which I didn't mind as long as it was a heifer.

Latest posts